Alcatraz Parade Grounds
The Parade Grounds is a large concrete open area on the south end of Alcatraz Island, off the coast of San Francisco, USA. They lie beyond Building 64. They were originally built in the 1860s on a barren site by the U.S. military who used the site for military drills and parades.
After the island became a Federal Penitentiary in 1934, the Parade Grounds was used as a playground, especially on weekends and holidays, and was used host special events, often organized by the Officer's Club. As the nearby Building 64 aged and fell into disrepair, the operators of the prison funded several new residential blocks on the square. Gardens were developed around them, and handball and weightlifting facilities developed for the employees and their families. The children living in the quarters on the Parade Ground were known to other children and their families on Alcatraz as "the topside kids" because they lived above those residing in Building 64 on the dock below.
The island ceased use as a jail in 1963 and the residential buildings and gardens which were added were razed to the ground by the General Services Administration in the 1970s, but the foundation marks can still be seen.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jr., Jerry Lewis Champion (26 April 2012). Alcatraz Unchained. AuthorHouse. p. 33. ISBN 978-1-4685-8753-1. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Albright, Jim (30 March 2008). Last Guard Out: A Riveting Account by the Last Guard to Leave Alcatraz. AuthorHouse. p. 192. ISBN 978-1-4343-5077-0. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Dunbar, Richard (1 January 1999). Alcatraz. Casa Editrice Bonechi. p. 71. ISBN 978-88-8029-940-0. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Albright, Jim (30 March 2008). Last Guard Out: A Riveting Account by the Last Guard to Leave Alcatraz. AuthorHouse. p. 8. ISBN 978-1-4343-5077-0. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Wellman, Gregory L. (28 May 2008). A History of Alcatraz Island:: 1853-2008. Arcadia Publishing. p. 93. ISBN 978-0-7385-5815-8. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
Lua error: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
This article "Alcatraz Parade Grounds" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Alcatraz Parade Grounds/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.