Biography[edit | edit source]
Sheen is 33 years old and lives in Ohio. He has Chinese ancestry through his father, a native of Hong Kong. He graduated from Ohio University in 2008 with a degree in marketing. Sheen came into the public spotlight in 2012 when he created because I said I would. Sheen describes the organization as "a social movement and nonprofit organization dedicated to bettering humanity through the power of a promise." The organization provides volunteer help across the country through promises kept by good Samaritans. Sheen was inspired to create the organization after the death of his father from cancer. The name of the organization comes from the eulogy Sheen gave at his father's funeral. Sheen worked for Hyland Software in Westlake, Ohio until he quit to focus solely on his nonprofit.
In 2013, Sheen collaborated with Matthew Cordle, who confessed in a video on the because I said i would Facebook page to killing a 61-year-old man while driving under the influence of alcohol. The video went viral, and Sheen later appeared on CNN and Fox News to discuss why he chose to feature it. The video led to Cordle being charged and convicted soon after. In honor of Cordle's victim, Sheen offered to drive bar patrons in Cleveland home so that they would not drive drunk.
References[edit | edit source]
- Chee, Gabbi (November 2013). "The Everyday Action Hero". Spirit Magazine: 86–99.
- "Lakewood man keeps promise to dad with 'because I said I would' movement". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- Grzegorek, Vince. "The Promise Ring". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Son Offers Advice For Keeping Promises". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "'Because I Said I Would' Founder Offers Volunteer Help as New Year's Resolution". RightThisMinute. 2015-01-06. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Promises kept: How one man's loss of his father sparked a mission to help others". TODAY.com. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- DUI confession message: Don't be like me - CNN Video, retrieved 2018-11-15
- "Man Makes Promise to Knight, Berry, DeJesus". fox8.com. 2013-05-10. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "10 Chilling Social Media Confessions To Murder - Listverse". Listverse. 2015-08-26. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- News, A. B. C. (2014-06-24). "How Strangers React to Man's Designated-Driver Offer". ABC News. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "Founder of good deeds website drives bar-goers home". Fox News. 2014-07-11. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- Nutile, Alaina. "A Northeast Ohio Man Is Walking 240 Miles Across the State". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
This article "Alex Sheen" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Alex Sheen. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.