Artemis Fowl (film)
|Directed by||Kenneth Branagh|
|Based on||Artemis Fowl book series by Eoin Colfer|
|Music by||Patrick Doyle|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios|
Search Artemis Fowl (film) on Amazon.
Artemis Fowl is an upcoming 2019 American science fiction fantasy-adventure film adaptation of Eoin Colfer's book series of the same name. Directed by Kenneth Branagh and written by Michael Goldenberg, Adam Kline and Conor McPherson, the film stars Judi Dench, Josh Gad, Nonso Anozie and newcomer Ferdia Shaw. It will be released by Walt Disney Pictures on August 9, 2019.
Artemis Fowl II, a young Irish criminal mastermind, kidnaps the fairy LEPrecon officer Holly Short for ransom to fund rescuing his father. Once a transaction is made, they go onto a hunt for the evil pixie Opal Koboi and rush to save Artemis Fowl Senior from the Arctic.
- Ferdia Shaw as Artemis Fowl II
- Judi Dench as Commander Root
- Josh Gad as Mulch Diggums
- Nonso Anozie as Butler
- Lara McDonnell as Captain Holly Short
Development and pre-production
In 2001 plans were announced for a film adaptation of the series. Miramax Films was named as purchasing the film rights with Lawrence Guterman signed to direct. In 2003 Colfer stated that a screenplay had been finalized and that casting was due to start the same year but expressed skepticism over whether or not this would come to pass. The film remained in development and was assumed to be in development hell until 2011, when it was reported that Jim Sheridan was interested in directing the movie.
In July 2013, Walt Disney Pictures announced that an Artemis Fowl film covering the events of the first and second novels of the series would be produced by Disney and The Weinstein Company, with the screenplay by Michael Goldenberg. Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal signed onto the project as executive producers.
On September 1, 2015, Variety reported that Kenneth Branagh had been hired to direct the film for Disney, with Irish playwright Conor McPherson as screenwriter and Judy Hofflund as an executive producer. Eoin Colfer confirmed this in a video to Artemis Fowl Confidential, and spoke with RTE Radio 1 about meeting Branagh several times to discuss this prior to the announcement. On September 12, 2017, Disney announced that the film adaptation will be released on August 9, 2019. It will also be based off the first two books in the series. On September 18, 2017, it was reported that Judi Dench was in talks for an unspecified role,. It was announced on October 11, 2017 that Disney immediately removed Harvey Weinstein as the producer of the film as well as terminating its production with The Weinstein Company following a sexual misconduct controversy involving Weinstein. On December 20, 2017, it was announced that Irish newcomer Ferdia Shaw had been cast as Artemis Fowl, alongside Dench as Commander Root, Josh Gad as Mulch Diggums, Lara McDonnell as Captain Holly Short, and Nonso Anozie as Butler.
Artemis Fowl is set to be released on August 9, 2019 by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
- Court, Ayesha (8 August 2002). "Author's 'Fowl' play includes sequel, movie". USA Today. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Miramax Has Rights To Make Movie Of Book Artemis Fowl'". Star-News. 19 February 2003. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "A moment with ... 'Artemis Fowl' author Eoin Colfer". Seattle PI. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Irish fantasy role raises Saoirse's elf esteem". Irish Independent. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Artemis Fowl Film Attracts Director Jim Sheridan And Star Saoirse Ronan". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Vejvoda, Jim. "Disney, Harvey Weinstein Team for Artemis Fowl Movie Adaptation". IGN.
- Kroll, Justin (September 1, 2015). "Kenneth Branagh Developing 'Artemis Fowl' Adaptation for Disney". Variety. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- "Artemis Fowl Confidential Eoin Colfer Interview (August 2008)". Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- Wall, Matt (September 2, 2015). "Eoin Colfer on RTE Radio 1 talking about the Artemis Fowl Movie". Artemis Fowl Confidential. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Artemis Fowl - ComingSoon.net".
- Kroll, Justin (September 18, 2017). "Judi Dench in Talks to Join Kenneth Branagh's 'Artemis Fowl' Movie Adaptation (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (October 11, 2017). "Disney Removes Harvey Weinstein as Producer on 'Artemis Fowl'". Variety. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- Michelle Lema (December 20, 2017). "The Cast for the Upcoming Live-Action Adaptation of Artemis Fowl Has Been Announced". Oh My Disney. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
This article "Artemis Fowl (film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.