|Gravity Falls character|
|First appearance||"Dreamscaperers" (2013)|
|Last appearance||"Weirdmaggedon 3: Take Back the Falls"|
|Created by||Alex Hirsch|
|Portrayed by||Alex Hirsch|
|Nickname||Triangle guy, isosceles monster, muse, "beast with just one eye", evil triangle, Bipper, evil magic triangle|
Search Bill Cipher on Amazon.Bill Cipher is a fictional character on the Disney XD television show, Gravity Falls. He is voiced by the show's creator, Alex Hirsch, though David Lynch was originally asked to voice Bill. Alex voices him with what he calls a "bad impression" of David Lynch. Bill is based on the Eye of Providence, with his name being Bill because the dollar bill features the Eye of Providence on the backside. Though Bill was first physically in the episode "Dreamscaperers", he appears in multiple easter eggs throughout the show, such as in the end of the theme song he appears with a zodiac around him. He is featured in the episodes Dreamscaperers (2012), Sock Opera (2014), The Last Mabelcorn (2015), Dipper & Mabel vs. the Future (2015), Weirdmageddon: Part 1 (2015), Weirdmageddon 2: Escape from Reality (2015), and Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back the Falls (2016).
Bill Cipher is a being "older than time itself". Throughout the series, he tries to cause the oddpocalypse, or Weirdmaggedon, and well as tries to prevent Dipper Pines and Mabel Pines from learning too much from Journal 3- a book that Dipper found in the woods in the first episode.
Bill appears in a lot of merchandise and video games for Gravity Falls. He also has encrypted notes in Gravity Falls: Journal 3, a page and encrypted codes in the book Dipper and Mabel's Guide to Mystery and Nonstop Fun, and an official Reddit AMA done by Alex Hirsch as Bill Cipher. There are secret codes and pages in the Gravity Falls graphic novel, Gravity Falls Lost Legends: 4 All New Adventures that mention Bill Cipher as well. A large hunt took place after the show was over, to try and locate the Bill Cipher statue. Its ending location was in Reedsport, Oregon. Additionally, Bill Cipher has a cameo in Justin Roiland's show, Rick and Morty, in the episode "Big Trouble in Little Sanchez".
Role in Gravity Falls
Bill Cipher is a happy-go-lucky dream demon with often a mask of a "true gentleman", as Stanford Pines puts it. He has a sadistic sense of humor, but a short temper. He often terrorizes the citizens of Gravity Falls, Oregon. He hides codes everywhere in Gravity Falls. He is originally from a dimension that, as he puts it, was a "flat world with flat minds and flat dreams". He most likely destroyed it. During the series, Bill resides in the "Nightmare Realm".
Bill is trademarked as a yellow triangle with a pyramid print. He has a single eye, and always wears a top hat and a bow tie. He is also sometimes seen with either a cane or a stopwatch, which he pulls out of seemingly nowhere.
His powers include mind-reading, shift forms, levitation, the ability to warp reality, maintaining cross-dimensional awareness, possessing bodies, the ability to go into people's memories, playing piano, singing, and being able to shoot lasers from his eye and fingers.
In "Dreamscaperers", Bill is introduced. He makes a deal with Gideon and goes into Grunkle Stan's mind to retrieve the code to the Mystery Shack. The Pines twins and Soos follow him in and succeed in stopping him.
In "Sock Opera", Bill makes a deal with Dipper that was supposed to give Bill a puppet and Dipper the code to an abandoned laptop he found (the code was later revealed in the Bill Cipher Reddit AMA to be 'gullible'). Bill tricks him and uses Dipper as the puppet, kicking him out of his body, and destroys the laptop. Bill then hurts Dipper's body in multiple ways, such as stabbing forks into his arms, while looking for the Journal. At the end of the episode, Dipper gets his body back, and Bill doesn't succeed in getting the Journal.
In "The Last Mabelcorn", Bill is featured in the end credits. While Ford and Dipper "Bill-proof" the Shack, he watches from above. Bill realizes that his next deal to get him his dreams will have to be made with someone outside of the Mystery Shack.
In "Dipper and Mabel vs. the Future", Bill is in Blendin's body at the end of the episode. He meets Mabel in the woods, and asks her for the Rift in exchange for "just a little more summer". She obliges, and he breaks the Rift on the ground, starting Weirdmaggedon. He traps Mabel in a dream-world bubble and gets out of Blendin's body, which Blendin then goes back to the future.
In "Weirdmaggedon: Part 1", Bill lets in his "gang of interdimensional criminals" he calls his friends to wreak havoc in Gravity Falls. He turns some of the townsfolk into statues for his throne of human agony and turns Ford into a statue of gold. Bill destroys all three Journals aswell.
In "Weirdmaggedon: Part 2: Escape from Reality", it's seen that Gideon is working for Bill, which he later double-crosses Bill and helps Wendy, Dipper, and Soos rescue Mabel from her bubble. It's a trap designed by Bill that has everything one could want, and even more. They break free, but that doesn't worry Bill too much.
In "Weirdmaggedon: Part 3: Take Back the Falls", Bill finds out that his oddpocalypse can't go past the border of Gravity Falls. He turns to Ford for help and infamously sings "We'll Meet Again". In the end of the episode, For and Stan switch clothing and trick Bill into thinking he's got a deal. Ford erases Stan's memories, and Bill is trapped in a stone statue. No one knows if he died at the end of the series or not. His last words reversed are "A-X-O-L-O-T-L! My time has come to burn! I invoke the ancient power that I may return!".
This article "Bill Cipher" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Bill Cipher. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- Gravity Falls Official Site on Disney XD, retrieved 2017-06-30
- Piatti-Farnell, Lorna (2014-07-24). "What's Hidden in Gravity Falls: Strange Creatures and the Gothic Intertext". M/C Journal. 17 (4).
- Hirsch, Alex (2014-09-26). "@DiscoChao No coincidence! We originally went to David Lynch to voice Bill. When he turned us down, I just did a bad impression of him haha". @_alexhirsch. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- Gravity Falls | Bill Cipher, retrieved 2018-04-19
- Gravity Falls Games on Disney XD, retrieved 2018-04-19
- Renzetti, Rob (2016). Gravity Falls: Journal 3. Disney Press. ISBN 9781484746691. Search this book on
- Hirsch, Alex (2014). Dipper and Mabel's Guide to Mystery and Nonstop Fun. Los Angles: Disney Press. ISBN 9781484722169. Search this book on
- Hirsch, Alex (2018). Gravity Falls Lost Legends: 4 All New Adventures. Disney Press. ISBN 978-1368021425. Search this book on
- Velocci, Carli. "After Just Two Weeks, Gravity Falls Fans Complete Incredible Global Cipher Hunt". io9. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "'Gravity Falls' fans located the Bill Cipher statue after a global scavenger hunt | The Daily Dot". The Daily Dot. 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- Cooper, Tristan. "8 Clever Details Hidden in Last Night's Rick and Morty". Dorkly. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Rick and Morty (season 2)", Wikipedia, 2018-09-04, retrieved 2018-09-13
- "Watch My Show: Gravity Falls' Alex Hirsch Answers Our Showrunner Survey". TVGuide.com. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- Barnes, Brooks (2012-08-17). "Alex Hirsch Talks About 'Gravity Falls'". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- Disney Channel Shows (2014-01-19), Dreamscaperers, retrieved 2017-12-01
- Disney Channel Shows (2014-09-09), Sock Opera, retrieved 2017-12-01
- Disney Channel Shows (2015-09-08), The Last Mabelcorn, retrieved 2017-12-01
- Disney Channel Shows (2015-10-13), Dipper and Mabel Vs. The Future, retrieved 2017-12-01
- Disney Channel Shows (2015-10-27), Weirdmageddon Part 1, retrieved 2017-12-01
- Disney Channel Shows (2016-02-16), Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back the Falls, retrieved 2017-12-01
- TOMEGA (2016-02-16), BILL CIPHER DEATH MESSAGE + BACKWARDS (Weirdmageddon III), retrieved 2018-04-19