Black Country Urban Park
The Black Country Urban Park is a proposal to transform the environment of the Black Country.
The heart of the industrial revolution, the Black Country went into a serious economic decline in the 1980s, with the loss of almost all the heavy industry, especially metal founding. Having had the longest history of heavy industry of any urban area in the world the area was left with a legacy of dereliction and contamination. Combined with considerable economic deprivation - amongst the highest levels in the UK. The aim of the Black Country Urban Park is to make the area desirable place for businesses, reversing the current trend for outmigration. The lead partners in the development of the Urban Park are Black Country Consortium, the Metropolitan Borough councils of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall, Wolverhampton City Council, Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country and British Waterways.
In 2007, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds said the project would help the local wildlife.
The Urban Park proposal was a contender for the £50 million lottery competition organised by the BIG Lottery Fund. Although it was shortlisted for the grant project and the bid backed by MP Lynda Waltho, it lost to a bike project.
- "New plan for beauty spot". Express and Star. June 20, 2007.
- "Plans to link Black Country and Birmingham with huge park". Birmingham Post. December 13, 2010.
- "Bishop backs plans for Black Country Urban Park". Christian Today.
- "Black Country Urban Park will pull in the birds". Birmingham Post. November 19, 2007.
- "Future Black Country". BBC.
- "MP backs Black Country bid". Stourbridge News. November 22, 2007.
- "£50m lottery fund goes to walking scheme". The Telegraph. December 12, 2007.
|This United Kingdom-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Black Country Urban Park" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Black Country Urban Park. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.