Cyclone Josie was a weak but costly tropical cyclone that struck the South Pacific islands of Vanuatu, Fiji, and Tonga. The 5th named storm of the 2017-18 South Pacific cyclone season, Josie was first warned upon on March 29 as a tropical disturbance.
Tropical Disturbance 12F was first noted by the Fiji Meteorological Service on March 29, while it was located about 350 km (215 mi) to the east of Port Vila in Vanuatu. At this stage, the system was poorly organised with atmospheric convection surrounding the system displaced to the northeast of the disturbance's weak low-level circulation. However, the disturbance was located to the south of a ridge of high pressure, and within a favourable environment for further development, with low to moderate levels of vertical wind shear and warm sea surface temperatures of around 28–30 °C (82–86 °F). By 23:20 UTC that day, the system had strengthened into Tropical Depression 12F. Despite moderate shear, the system organized further into Tropical Cyclone Josie by March 31.
Despite not making landfall, Cyclone Josie caused heavy rainfall and sustained gale-force winds in southern Fiji. Because of these effects, Josie caused upwards of $10 million in damages.   Severe flooding occurred in the city of Nadi. Altogether, Josie left six people dead. Five people were washed away by floodwaters, of which four are confirmed dead and one is still missing.
Other articles of the topic Tropical cyclones : List of nicknamed tropical cyclones, Tropical Depression Ten (2005), 2017 Jan-Mar Tropical Cyclones, Cyclone Maha, Hurricane Norman (2018), Hurricane Nicholas (2021), Hurricane Enrique (2021)
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- Tropical Disturbance Summary March 29, 2018 21z (Report). Fiji Meteorological Service. March 29, 2018. Archived from the original on March 30, 2018. Retrieved December 25, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Significant Tropical Weather Advisory March 30, 2018 06z (Report). United States Joint Typhoon Warning Center. March 30, 2018. Archived from the original on March 30, 2018. Unknown parameter
- "Tropical Disturbance Summary For area Equator to 25S, 160E to 120W". Fiji Meteorological Service. March 29, 2018. Archived from the original on March 30, 2018. Retrieved May 29, 2021. Unknown parameter
- "Tropical Disturbance Advisory Number A3 Issued From RSMC Nadi". RSMC Nadi. Nadi, Fiji. March 31, 2018. Archived from the original on March 31, 2018. Retrieved June 10, 2021. Unknown parameter
- Weather, Climate & Catastrophe Insight: 2018 Annual Report (PDF) (Report). Aon Benfield. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Tropical Cyclone Josie kills 4 in Fiji". Newshub. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Tropical Cyclone Josie puts Fiji tourist town under water". www.9news.com.au. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- World Meteorological Organization
- Australian Bureau of Meteorology
- Fiji Meteorological Service
- New Zealand MetService
- Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Category:Tropical cyclones in 2018
This article "Cyclone Josie" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Cyclone Josie. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.