Drive the Boat
|"Drive the Boat"|
|Single by Pop Smoke|
|Released||December 6, 2019|
|Pop Smoke singles chronology|
"Drive the Boat" is a song by American rapper Pop Smoke. It was released by Victor Victor Worldwide and Republic Records for digital download and streaming as a standalone single on December 6, 2019. The song was written by Pop Smoke, known as Bashar Jackson, alongside Michael Hernandez and Romerson Gabriel. The song's production was handled by Foreign Track and Rolex. A drill track, Pop Smoke raps about alcohol and drugs. "Drive the Boat" received generally positive reviews from music critics, with several of them praising the song's production.
Background and release
In a statement, Pop Smoke explained: "Everything I make just be like, vibes. Yesterday I made a song called 'Drive the Boat.' I just made it cuz I seen a girl go like that. Talking about 'Drive the boat.' About to drive the boat with the liquor. So I'm like, hey, I just made a song called 'Drive the Boat.' I gotta have some inspiration. That's when the best music comes up for me." Pop Smoke took inspiration from Houston rapper Megan Thee Stallion who created the phrase "drive the boat" as a funny way to describe drinking liquor.
The song was written by Pop Smoke, known as Bashar Jackson, alongside Michael Hernandez and Romerson Gabriel. The song's production was handled by Foreign Track and Rolex. Mastering was handled by Colin Leonard, while Fabian Marasciullo dealt with mixing, and Thomas McLaren was credited as an assistant mixing engineer. Corey Nutile was credited as the song's recording engineer. "Drive the Boat" was released as a standalone single for digital download and streaming by Victor Victor Worldwide and Republic Records on December 6, 2019.
Music and lyrics
Music journalists described the song as a drill track. According to DeMicia Inman of Def Pen, Pop Smoke "raps about a seemingly, lit occasion with drinks and drugs galore," while saying he "encourages listeners to 'drive the boat, act a fool with me' with a hook that repeats 'shake it'." Courtney Wytner of GRM Daily commented that the song is a "hard-hitting instrumental [as Pop Smoke] takes it on with his distinct low tones and self-assured lyrics."
"Drive the Boat" has been met with mainly positive reviews from music critics. The staff of HipHopDX stated that the song "fits the vibe." In their review for OnSMASH, Legend described the song as a "street-certified single", and stated that Pop Smoke uses his "signature low pitched voice and melody to create another banger to blast." Wytner commented that "Drive the Boat" was "another banger to add to [Pop Smoke's] collection." Brianna Lawson of Earmilk praised Pop Smoke's use of Megan Thee Stallion's phrase, saying the "raunchy play on the coined phrase is going to keep the winter warm," while HotNewHipHop's Aron A. said Pop Smoke "hops over grim, UK-tinged drill production for another party anthem that would make Megan Thee Stallion proud."
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from Tidal.
- Bashar Jackson – vocals, writer
- Michael Hernandez – writer
- Romerson Gabriel – writer
- Foreign – producer
- Rolex – producer
- Colin Leonard – mastering engineer
- Corey Nutile – recording engineer
- Fabian Marasciullo – mixing engineer
- Thomas McLaren – mixing engineer assistant
- Ibrahim, Shamir (December 16, 2019). "Pop Smoke's very New York rise". The Fader. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- Inman, DeMicia (December 9, 2019). "Pop Smoke Puts On His Captain Hat For New Song 'Drive The Boat'". Def Pen. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- "Credits / Drive The Boat / Pop Smoke". Tidal. Retrieved December 30, 2020.
- Seabrook III, Robby (December 6, 2019). "The 13 Best New Songs This Week". XXL. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- Wytner, Courtney (December 6, 2019). "Pop Smoke Gifts Us With New Drill Banger 'Drive The Boat'". GRM Daily. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- A., Aron (December 6, 2019). "Pop Smoke Guzzles Bottles Of Henny On 'Drive The Boat'". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- "Pop Smoke Stays Steady To 'Drive The Boat'". HipHopDX. December 7, 2019. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- Legend (December 6, 2019). "Pop Smoke – Drive the Boat". OnSMASH. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- Lawson, Brianna (December 6, 2019). "Pop Smoke lets loose on 'Drive the Boat'". Earmilk. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
This article "Drive the Boat" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Drive the Boat. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.