Eastern Rail Services
|Headquarters 🏙️||, |
Number of locations
Area served 🗺️
|James Steward (Managing Director)|
|Services||Railway carriage operator|
Number of employees
Eastern Rail Services Limited (ERS) is a railway spot-hire company now based at Great Yarmouth in England, providing passenger rolling stock available for hire.
Eastern Rail Services was founded in 2011. using the Mid-Norfolk Railway as a base. It has provided rolling stock on both short and long term hire to Network Rail, train operating company Caledonian Sleeper, and a number of heritage railways including the Weardale Railway.
ERS commenced with one set of Mark 2 carriages, which were used on heritage railways. It later purchased further Mark 2s and Mark 3s from Cargo-D, Direct Rail Services, Eurostar International, Europhoenix and Porterbrook. The company now own a range of Mark 2 and Mark 3 carriages, for both mainline and heritage railway operation.
Yarmouth Vauxhall sidings, to the west of Great Yarmouth railway station, had fallen out of use after Crown Point TMD in Norwich was opened in 1982. Managing director James Steward said the siding matched ERS' requirement for an East Anglian site to base its rolling stock. In May 2020, Eastern Rail Services commenced a lease with Norfolk County Council and Network Rail for Yarmouth Vauxhall sidings. Following extensive de-vegetation works, Direct Rail Services 37402 became the first locomotive in 19 years to run into the sidings on 26 May 2020, followed the next day by it delivering five former Abellio Greater Anglia Mark 3 coaches for storage.
RMS Locotec Class 08 08762 was delivered by road from Heaton TMD on 16 June 2020 to take up shunting duties on site.
In a BBC Radio Norfolk interview, managing director James Steward indicated future plans for ERS at its new Vauxhall siding base included charter trains and possible set-up of a maintenance facility.
- Eastern Rail Services Limited Companies House extract
- Network Rail hires former Caledonian Sleeper coaches Eastern Rail Services January 2020
- New homes for former Caledonian Sleeper coaches Rail issue 898 12 February 2020 page 31
- BSO covers for Mk2s Rail issue 858 1 August 2018 page 31
- Russel (2018), p. 94.
- Eastern Rail Services lands first main line TOC hire deal Rail Express December 2018 page 94
- ERS hires Mk2s to Weardale Rail Express issue 200 January 2013 page 63
- ERS Coaches head to Weardale Railway Rail Express issue 212 January 2014 page 55
- BARS hires ERS coaches for Polar Express duties Rail Express January 2017
- Eastern Rail Services snaps up Cargo-D stock Rail Express issue 192 May 2012 page 8
- Eastern Rail Services acquires Sleeper Mark 2s Today's Railways UK issue 207 March 2019 page 69
- Coaching Stock News Railways Illustrated March 2020 page 22
- Current Coach Fleet Eastern Rail Services
- Bumfrey & Steward (2020), 2h 46m.
- Intelligence Railway Gazette International December 1982 page 968
- New us for revitalised Yarmouth sidings Rail issue 907 17 June 2020 page 24
- Bumfrey, Stephen; Steward, James (29 May 2020). Afternoons on BBC Radio Norfolk. www.bbc.co.uk. BBC Sounds. Event occurs at 2h46m. Retrieved 21 June 2020. Unknown parameter
Media related to [[commons:Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 466: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 466: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).]] at Wikimedia Commons
This article "Eastern Rail Services" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Eastern Rail Services. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.