|Full name||EasyEnglish Bible|
|Abbreviation||EASY (also EEB)|
|Translation type||Dynamic equivalence|
The EasyEnglish Bible (EASY) is a translation of the Bible into very Simple English. It is based on a vocabulary of 1200 well-known English words. The translation is designed for people who are learning English or who speak English as a foreign language.
The complete Bible was published on the EasyEnglish Bible website in 2015  along with a series of Commentaries and Bible Studies, which are also written in simple English. It was revised in 2018.
It is also available on the YouVersion Bible app.
The four Gospels have been printed as separate books by the British and Foreign Bible Society.
The New Testament is available on the STEP Bible online platform by Tyndale House (Cambridge).
A series of readings from the EasyEnglish Bible with reflections by Michael Green have been published by Bible Trust in a book called 30 Days with Jesus.
A series of Bible passages about the life of Jesus with comments and discussion questions written by Mike Raiter have been published by Bible Society Australia in a book called Meet Jesus.
There are several free apps containing portions of the EasyEnglish Bible on the Google Play Store. The EasyEnglish New Testament app was the runner up for the 2018 "App of the Year" award in the Premier Digital Awards.
The text is also used by the So Lord, speak teaching materials from SIM (Christian organization)
It is a “meaning-for-meaning” translation, not “word-for-word”. It aims to translate the meaning of phrases or whole sentences and changes the order of words if that is seen to make the meaning clearer in English. This approach to translation is sometimes referred to as Dynamic Equivalence though Formal Equivalence methods also do this to some extent.
Spelling and Grammar
The translation uses British English spelling, grammar and punctuation. This is the form of English that is most often used in the Commonwealth of Nations - see English in the Commonwealth of Nations.
It uses Oxford spelling, which is the preferred spelling in the Oxford English Dictionary. So, for example, it uses a "z" rather than an "s" for words such as "baptize". This is consistent with the spelling used by the World Health Organization and other United Nations Agencies.
The translation uses short sentences, short paragraphs, and simple grammar. It avoids passive verbs, idioms, split infinitives, and rhetorical questions.
The EasyEnglish Bible was translated by MissionAssist, which is a Christian charity based in the United Kingdom. MissionAssist is part of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and a member of Global Connections. Before 2012, MissionAssist was known as Wycliffe Associates (UK).
Where different translations of the Bible have a different interpretation of the Bible text, the EasyEnglish Bible follows the Hebrew or Greek text, using the texts published and updated by United Bible Societies:
- Old Testament: Biblia Hebraica Masoretic Text
- New Testament: The Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece
- List of English Bible translations
- Kuhn, Tobias (2014). "A Survey and Classification of Controlled Natural Languages". Computational Linguistics. 40 (1): 121–170. doi:10.1162/COLI_a_00168. Unknown parameter
- Betts, Rob (2003). Wycliffe Associates EasyEnglish: Challenges in Cross-Cultural Communication. European Association for Machine Translation. Dublin. EAMT-Claw 03.
- "Easy-read Bible goes online". Church Times. London. 2 April 2015.
- "MissionAssist completes easy English online Bible". www.inspiremagazine.org.uk/. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- "EasyEnglish Bible on YouVersion". Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "The Gospels in EasyEnglish". Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- Green, Michael (2018). 30 Days with Jesus. Bath, UK: Bible Trust. ISBN 978-1-78690-382-2. Search this book on
- Raiter, Mike (2020). Meet Jesus. Sydney: Bible Society Australia. ISBN 978-1-78690-382-2. Search this book on
- "EasyEnglish Bible apps". Retrieved 19 August 2020.
- "Winners of the Premier Digital Awards". Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "Church and Culture" (PDF). Retrieved June 17, 2021.
- "Damian High School Theology Assignments". Retrieved June 17, 2021.
- Betts, Rob (Spring 2005). "Wycliffe Associates' EasyEnglish". Communicator: 28–31.
- Schöttelndreyer, Burkhard (2016). Connected: A History of Wycliffe in Europe. Singapore: Wycliffe Global Alliance. p. 218. ISBN 978-981-09-9472-3. Search this book on
- "EasyEnglish Bible 2018 (EASY)". bible.com. YouVersion. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
This article "EasyEnglish Bible" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:EasyEnglish Bible. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.