Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered
Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered (F.O.R.C.E.) is a non-profit organization and an active web-based community for women at high risk of getting breast and ovarian cancer due to their family history and genetic status.
FORCE was founded in 1999 by veterinarian, Sue Friedman after being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 33 and learning that she carried a BRCA mutation. In 2001, FORCE coined the term "Cancer Previvor" for "survivor of a predisposition to cancer" to give a name, voice, and community to people who faced a very high risk of cancer but who had not been diagnosed with the disease.
The U.S. organization is based in Tampa, Florida. It is funded by a small number of individual donors, foundations, and pharmaceutical companies and cancer treatment centers. They characterize the tens of thousands of dollars received from the breast cancer industry as being "limited" and have a policy of being an unbiased source of information.
The British Medical Journal has named the F.O.R.C.E. website as one of its "websites of the week".
FORCE has many programs including:
- a website with over 500 pages of information on hereditary breast and ovarian cancer;
- a toll-free helpline (866-288-RISK)
- free webinars
- print and on-line newsletter and brochures
- an annual "Joining FORCEs Conference", which is the only international conference by and for the hereditary cancer community
- Richards, Tessa (13 January 2001). "Facing mastectomy". BMJ. BMJ. p. 116. doi:10.1136/bmj.322.7278.116/a. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
|This oncology article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This article related to a non-profit organization is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.