Feces wine, or Ttongsul, is an alcoholic Medicine made with feces used in the Joseon Dynasty and was introduced to the public by Vice Japan's reporter Yuka Uchida in 2013. She interviewed Dr. Lee Chang Soo, who makes this medicine from feces  Although the existence of feces wine is unheard of by the majority of Korean population, Japanese media have promoted the drinking of feces wine as culture of Korea.
Ttongsul may be produced in either of two ways. The more time-consuming involves submerging a bamboo stick in a chamber pot that contains feces and alcohol. It is left there for several months as it ferments, and the ttongsul is extracted from the bamboo.[verification needed] A more rapid method, which may produce less favorable results, simply involves mixing alcohol and feces directly for several days.
Medicinal compounds produced from feces have a long history in China. In China, the 4th century Chinese medicine handbook by Ge Hong describes the oral consumption of human feces in treating food poisoning and diarrhea. In the 16th century, Li Shizhen detailed the oral consumption of human feces in treating various gastrointestinal diseases through the ingestion of concoctions such as "yellow soup" and "golden syrup", which contained fresh, dried, or fermented stool. As long ago as the Tang Dynasty, chicken manure was used this way. Other types of feces were historically used in medicines, including that of flying squirrels, bats, hares, and sparrows. and silkworms.
In Japan, equine feces have been believed to have medicinal efficacy and have been traditionally used as a therapy since the Sengoku period. Equine feces is said to be especially effective in treating gunshot wounds by direct application to the area, or via consumption by mouth or in an aqueous mixture.
- "韓国の人糞酒『トンスル』を作って飲んでみよう!". VICE Japan. Archived from the original on 30 April 2014.
- Ashcraft, Brian (27 August 2013). "Anger Over Korean Poo Wine Video". Kotaku. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Heo Jun "Dongui bogam (동의보감)"(1613), "將白狗屎燒成灰後混入酒中, 飲用後可治療腫瘤, 腹脹和瘀血的藥方."; "用糞便製成的韓國“糞酒” 敢嘗嗎？" from 中国新闻社 "朝鮮時代的《東醫寶鑒》還記載了將白狗屎燒成灰後混入酒中服用，可治療腹脹和淤血的藥方". Archived from the original on 25 February 2016.
- "똥술" [Ttongsul]. Gyeongnam Ilbo. Archived from the original on 5 Aug 2009.
똥술은, 대의 마디를 원통처럼 잘라 그 한쪽에 작은 구멍을 내어 솔잎으로 꼼꼼히 막은 다음 뒷간에 넣어두고 한 서너 달 기다리면 그 마디 안에 맑은 액이 괴는데 그것을 다시 막걸리와 섞어 숙성시켰다. [Ttongsul is made by putting a hole in a bamboo tube, plugging up the hole by pine needles and putting the tube in the chamber pot for three to four month. Then mixing clear liquid accumulated in the tube with rice wine and ageing again.]
- 정연식 (2001). 일상 으로 본 조선 시대 이야기, Volume 2 [The story of daily life in Joseon Dynasty]. 청년사. p. 224. ISBN 897278351X. Search this book on
- "[커버스토리]별의별 술이 다 있네" [[Cover Story] Various sorts of alcoholic beverages] (in Korean). Naver News. September 6, 2003.
이런 기괴한 술 중에 가장 극적인 사례가 똥술이다. 타박상으로 울혈이 생겼을 때 막걸리에다 똥을 하룻밤 담가 두었다 마시면 낫는다고 한다. 단, 건강한 10 세 이하의 어린이 똥이라야 듣는다고 한다. 개똥과 닭똥으로도 약술 을 만든다. [One of the most dramatic cases of these bizarre liquor is ttongsul. When bruises become congested, drinking feces immersed in rice wine for a night will cure them. However, the feces must be the one of healthy children under the age of 10 year. The medical liquor is also made of feces of dog or chicken.]CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Nie, Jing-Bao (2002). "'Human Drugs' in Chinese Medicine and the Confucian View: An Interpretive Study". Confucian Bioethics. Philosophy and Medicine 61. pp. 167–206.
- Valiquette, Louis; Laupland, Kevin B (1 January 2013). "Something old, something new, something borrowed..." The Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases & Medical Microbiology. 24 (2): 63–64. ISSN 1180-2332. PMC 3719997. PMID 24421800.
- "Fecal Microbiota Transplant to Treat C. difficile Infection". American Journal of Gastroenterology. 108 (2): 177–185. 2013. ISSN 1572-0241. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Ask an Expert: Does Fecal Transplantation Hold the Secret to Future Cures?". University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, Volume 16, Issue 3, 1 February 2008, Pages 1133-1141, Kyoung Ah Kanga, Rui Zhanga, Mei Jing Piaoa, Dong Ok Koa, Zhi Hong Wanga, Bum Joon Kim.
- 川口素生 (17 December 2001). 戦国時代なるほど事典. PHP研究所. p. 26. ISBN 978-4-569-57646-6.
血が手に入らない場合は馬の糞を水で溶いて呑ませるか、そのまま食わせました.Search this book on ["If blood was not available, horse feces were taken instead either directly or by having them dissolved in water."]
- 歴史の謎研究会 (November 2006). 戦国時代の舞台裏: ここが一番おもしろい!. 青春出版社. ISBN 978-4-413-00859-4. Search this book on
- Jinbutsu Nihon no rekishi. 9. 1975. p. 281. Search this book on
- "Korean Poo Wine" by VICE Japan at Youtube
This article "Feces wine" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Feces wine. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.