|🎓 Alma mater||Université de Paris VI|
|Work on the respiratory pigments and hemoglobin of marine invertebrates|
|🏅 Awards||CNRS bronze medal (2001) ; Chevalier of the Ordre national du Mérite (2020)|
Franck Zal is a French marine biologist and scientific researcher. Founder of Hemarina, he first built his scientific recognition on his expertise in the field of respiratory pigments for invertebrates before specializing on hemoglobin in marine invertebrates and their transport of oxygen. His work earned him the CNRS bronze medal in 2001. He has since received numerous awards for his work and has been made knight of the Ordre national du Mérite (2020). He was President of Bretagne Biosciences for many years and is currently Vice-President of ID2Santé and Antlanpôle Biothérapie.
With his company, he is working on developing blood substitutes, products for tissue preservation, products for wound healing, and protein production systems based on marine invertebrates.
He obtained his PhD in 1996 from the University of Paris VI, in which he studied the structure-function relationships of extracellular hemoglobins of marine ringed worms. He then did 3 years of postdoctoral work, first at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) for 2 years, then for 1 year at the University of Antwerp in Belgium.
He created, with his company, a breeding and breeding farm of marine worms of the species Arenicola marina on the island of Noirmoutier. The hemoglobin extracted from these worms carries a high amount of oxygen, which in particular makes it possible to increase the shelf life of grafts of human organs.
- Products for organ transplantation and tissue conservation,
- Blood substitutes
- Infections and wound healing (throught oxigenating dressing)
In January 2018, the product Hemo2life, based on the arenicole hemoglobin molecule, was used for the preservation of the graft by Professor Lantieri during a facial transplant. This product is also being tested for the preservation of the graft in kidney transplants.
- VIAF (Virtual International Authority File)
- International Standard Name Identifier
- Franck Zal's page on the Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Hemarina, le 1er transporteur d’oxygène universel à visée thérapeutique
- https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/morlaix-29600/morlaix-franck-zal-est-nomme-chevalier-dans-l-ordre-national-du-merite-maritime-6683956 Ouest France, January 2020 (French)
- Besançon, Raphaëlle (July 18, 2018). "Prix de l'entrepreneur EY. Avec les vers marins, Hemarina révolutionne la médecine". Ouest France (in français).
- "Hemarina - Français - Management". Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- Moreau, Nora (September 9, 2016). "Le ver marin, produit médical miracle?". Le Parisien (in français).
- Gaubert, Camille https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/systeme-sanguin/reportage-hemarina-inaugure-sa-ferme-de-vers-marins_129745 REPORTAGE. Guided tour of the marine worm farm, Sciences et Avenirs, december 1, 2018 (french)
- "HEMARINA Expands Its Operations To Boston | The Stevens Group".
- "EY Contractor Award. With marine worms, Hemarina revolutionizes medicine | tellerreport.com". www.tellerreport.com.
- https://www.notretemps.com/sante/actualites-sante/franck-zal-biologiste-soigne-avec-vers-marins,i189986 (French)
- https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/os-et-muscles/le-premier-homme-a-se-faire-greffer-un-deuxieme-visage-a-beneficie-de-l-hemoglobine-de-ver-marin_123163 Sciences et avenir, april 17, 2018 (french)
- https://www.clinicaltrials.gov./ct2/show/NCT02652520 on Clinical trials, retrieved January 11, 2020
Others articles of the Topics Science AND Medicine : Alexandre Loupy
Others articles of the Topic Science : Light descriptions of the phenomenon according to the latest physics, List of discoveries by disciplines, Celia Reina, Alexandre Loupy, Dr Catrin Rutland, OhChouette, Philosophy of environment
Others articles of the Topic Medicine : Pietro Cugini, Adventist Health Hanford, Journal of Paramedic Practice, ZyCoV-D, Parker Adventist Hospital, Rami Elias, List of deaths due to COVID-19
|This article about a French biologist is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Franck Zal" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Franck Zal. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.