Friends School of Portland
|Friends School of Portland|
|Oversight||Friends Council on Education|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Affiliation||Religious Society of Friends|
Friends School of Portland is an independent Friends (Quaker) day school located in Cumberland, Maine, United States. The first school year for Friends School of Portland began in the fall of 2006. There are currently over 100 children attending the school. The school is a member of Friends Council on Education and was accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges in 2012. For its first 9 years, Friends School of Portland was located on Mackworth Island in Falmouth, Maine, and shared space with the Governor Baxter School for the Deaf.
A new, energy efficient school building was built on 21 acres in Cumberland, and was opened in the fall of 2015. It achieved Passive House certification, one the highest levels of energy efficiency representing approximately a 90% reduction in energy usage compared to a typical school, in April 2018. It was the first such school in Maine. The school has been studied by the U.S. Department of Energy for its low-energy building.
- Nacelewciz, Tess (November 10, 2006). "School emphasizes 'simplicity, service, stewardship' ; The K-6 Friends School of Portland promotes Quaker beliefs, but serves students of all religions". Portland Press Herald.
- Bouchard, Kelley (January 7, 2009). "Learning the Quaker way: The school teaches tolerance and respect, and promotes the search for truth in all subjects". Portland Press Herald.
- "Unique partnership results in Maine's first net-zero school". nerej.com.
- "First Passive House School In Maine Is Also Net Zero Energy". Green Building Elements. 2 October 2015.
- "Quaker school pioneers Passivhaus design". thefriend.org. 29 August 2014.
- Release, Reader Contribution ByPress. "Maine's First Net-Zero Energy School". Mother Earth News.
- Torcellini, Paul A.; Pless, Shanti (ORCID:0000000310543757) (1 March 2018). "Zero Energy - Coming Soon to a School Near You". Green Schools Catalyst Quarterly.
|This Maine school-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Friends School of Portland" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Friends School of Portland. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.