Global Entrepreneurship Movement
|Formation||March 7, 2016|
|Founder||Mohd Irwan Serigar|
|Legal status||Nonprofit organization|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
Patron and Founder
|Mohd Irwan Serigar Abdullah (Patron & Founder)|
|Dhakshinamoorthy Balakrishnan (President), |
Deborah Melissa Botreau (Vice-president),
Mohd Irwan Serigar Abdullah (Patron & Founder)
Low Ngai Yuen (Executive director),
Nurul A. Nasir (General manager), Jamaludin Bin Bujang (Treasurer).
Global Entrepreneurship Movement (GEM) is a Malaysian Non-governmental organization that serves as a networking platform for entrepreneurs. It aims to promote interest in entrepreneurship through education and communications and connect people, ideas and venture capitals of the entrepreneurial ecosystem. GEM was launched as an inclusive entrepreneurship initiative in March 2016 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia by Mohd Irwan Serigar bin Abdullah, Secretary general treasury, Ministry of finance of Malaysia. The movement is best known through its programs and initiatives that support startups in Malaysia and the ASEAN region.
GEM was declared as an NGO with the Registrar of Society on the 24th February 2016 (PPM-025-14-24022016) and launched on the 7th March 2016. In 2018, GEM has more than 10,000 affiliates, 24 corporates and 15 committee members in industry. Participant and members have one common goal: make Malaysia a reference in launching joint ventures. GEM’s efforts aim to connect entrepreneurs with global investors, business angels and venture capitalists. It propels their innovations and business ideas to a global level.
GEM manages 5 programs described below.
TENxCLUB is an initiative designed to recognize ten high-performing Malaysian startups with at least RM 1 million in revenue at the end of their first year of activity. It is an invitation-only club that enables startups with valuable network (investors, startegic partners, customer base), resources and entrepreneurial support. On November 27, 2017, the first winners were HelloGold, Qu Exchange, Igl Coating, Avana, Gameka and Tripcarte.
Let’s Jam At GEM
Let’s Jam at GEM is a radio program that fosters networking and sharing of expertise. Its panel speakers made of industry experts focus on popular topics in innovation and technology.
ColossusINNO2017 is a global entrepreneurship program organized by GEM and its network of partners including the Ministry of Finance of Malaysia and the Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Centre (MaGIC). This competition, initiated under the “Startup & SME 2017” and the GECommunity2017 aims to encourage aspiring entrepreneurs to develop real-world innovative solutions to bridge gaps and move ASEAN nations closer to First world status. In line with GEM's objectives, finalists of the competition are given a unique networking opportunity at the Global Entrepreneurship Community Summit 2017 (GECommunity Summit 2017). This summit a 2-day international summit gives them the opportunity to learn best practices, discuss challenges and opportunities and share industry knowledge with global industry players. The winner of ColossusINNO2017, Blusense Diagnostics from Danemark, received a cash fund prize of USD 100,000 and an opportunity to be exposed to a variety of government and corporate mentorship, resources and skills to support their original idea.
eFM is a resource multi-platform online radio for entrepreneurship. It was launched on November 28, 2017 and managed for entrepreneurs by entrepreneurs. The online radio also features video streaming and podcasts with stories and business insights aimed at reducing the gap in Malaysia’s entrepreneurship ecosystem.
GEM magazine is a media platform with an editorial focus on industries that bring traditional principles and trends in entrepreneurship. It was created in September 2017 to share the insights on disruptive business trends aimed at progressive start-up founders, e-commerce enthusiasts.
- Knowledge economy
- "Malaysia tells the world's entrepreneurs: We want you". Nikkei Asian Review.
- "Summit to ignite entrepreneurship". The Straits Times. September 13, 2017.
- "EFM Online Radion to Inculcate Entrepreneurial Culture". The Borneo Post. 29 November 2017.
- "GEM picks 10 high performing start-ups as TENxCLUB winners". Daily Express (Malaysia). January 5, 2018.
- "Week in Review: Is Malaysia's GEM relevant?". Digital News Asia. 18 March 2017.
- "RM100M Investment Opportunities for 10 Outstanding Entrepreneurs? GEM-PIKOM Partnership is a Dream for Startups". News Stream Asia. September 15, 2017.
- "Colossusinno2017 Competition Kicks Off". Niaga Times. June 30, 2017.
- "GEM's US$100k Asean challenge for that breakout idea". Digital News Asia. March 13, 2017.
- "GECommunity 2016 sparks new connections & partnerships". Digital News Asia. 13 December 2016.
- "GECommunity Summit 2017 eyes RM100m in value creation via GEC Lab sessions". The Straits Times. November 13, 2017.
- "Blusense Diagnostics Wins Colossusinno2017 Global Innovation Competition at The Global Entrepreneurship Community Summit 2017". Malaysian Business Online. December 14, 2017.
- "Finance Ministry to issue RFP for Bandar Malaysia by end of week". The Straits Times. June 21, 2017.
This article "Global Entrepreneurship Movement" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Global Entrepreneurship Movement. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.