Heaven Can Wait (Jim Steinman song)
|"Heaven Can Wait"|
|Song by Meat Loaf|
|from the album Bat Out of Hell|
|Genre||Ballad, soft rock|
Origins[edit | edit source]
This song was written in 1972. The first demo recordings are from that year. In 2003, Jim Steinman, in an interview with VH-1, stated that he wrote this song for his musical Neverland, as a song for [the character] Wendy to sing after she got married to Peter.
Versions[edit | edit source]
This song was first sung in NYC by Alaina Reed Hall (then known as Alaina Reed). In this year, two demo recordings of the song were made - one with Jim Steinman on vocals, and another with Bette Midler on vocals. Both of these recordings were produced by Michael Kamen.
Jim Steinman met Meat Loaf in 1973 as an actor in the musical More Than You Deserve. Together, they created the phenomenally successful album Bat Out Of Hell, and this song is the third track on the album, released in 1977. This song became an enduring part of Meat Loaf's live show throughout his career.
In 1981, the song was recorded by Karla DeVito on her album Is This A Cool World Or What? - Karla DeVito had previously been part of the ensemble in Neverland as a member of Orchestra Luna, had performed on tour with Meat Loaf and appears on the music videos promoting Bat Out Of Hell, and performed a duet with Jim Steinman on the song Dance In My Pants, on his album Bad For Good.
In 2015, Ellen Foley released the song as a digital single.
In 2017, Bat Out Of Hell The Musical started a run in England, UK, where the song is sung by the character Raven - in this originating cast, she is played by Christina Bennington. As such, she is the vocalist to record this song on the Original Cast Recording for the show. The context for this song in the show is that Raven sings it alone, mourning her first love whom she believes to have died.
References[edit | edit source]
- The Historian (2009-04-04), Jim Steinman talks about 'Heaven Can Wait', retrieved 2018-05-09
- "Classic Albums Six Hour Interview". Dream Pollution The Jim Steinman Web Site. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- The Historian (2011-04-07), Jim Steinman - Heaven Can Wait (1972 Demo), retrieved 2018-05-09
- The Historian (2011-05-31), Bette Midler - Heaven Can Wait (1972 Demo), retrieved 2018-05-09
- "Neverland". jimsteinman.com. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Karla DeVito - Is This A Cool World Or What?". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Heaven Can Wait - Ellen Foley | User Reviews | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- www.batoutofhellmusical.com, Bat Out of Hell |. "Bat Out of Hell". Bat Out of Hell. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- Bat Out of Hell - 2017 Original London Cast, retrieved 2018-05-09
- "Bat Out of Hell the Musical — Script (Revision: May 29, 2017)". mljs.evilnickname.org. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
This article "Heaven Can Wait (Jim Steinman song)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Heaven Can Wait (Jim Steinman song). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.