Human Security Centre
|Directors||Julie Lenarz and Dr Dwayne Menezes|
The Human Security Centre (HSC) is a foreign policy think tank based in London, United Kingdom. According to its website, the HSC seeks to educate and encourage public dialogue on issues surrounding a wide range of human security issues, ranging from the challenges of terrorism and interstate conflict to religious freedom and international law. The organisation has been referred to as “influential” in the press.
Counter-extremism and counter-terrorism
The HSC produces material analysing the causes behind and approaches to managing the growth in extremism, and has worked with ARCHumankind to develop the PRISM project (Preventing Radicalisation from Imperilling Security and Mankind) to help formulate a better understanding of the relationship between radicalisation, extremism and terrorism. HSC’s most prominent media work typically involves providing comments on terrorist attacks, with appearances made on outlets including Sky News, BBC World News, Channel 4 News and CNN. Contributions from HSC staff have also been featured in publications including The Independent, The Daily Mail,The Daily Telegraph and The Evening Standard newspapers.
Foreign affairs and National Security
The HSC regularly produces analysis of and commentary on contemporary foreign policy and defence issues, with topics covered including the recent Iraqi Kurdistan independence referendum, the ongoing tensions with North Korea and developments in the NATO region. There is a particular focus of UK security and defence policy – in November 2015, the HSC published The Two Per Cent Solution: An Alternative Strategic Defence and Security Review, which made the case for higher defence spending in advance of the then imminent publication by the Government of the Strategic Defence and Security Review 2015. The HSC has also submits evidence to parliamentary inquiries, with the Defence Select Committee inquires on SDSR 2015 and the Army and the Defence Sub-Committee’s inquiry into Defence in the Arctic being two recent examples.
Democracy and human rights
The HSC states on its website that addressing the issues of “political repression, human rights violations [and] mass atrocity crimes” is a priority for the organisation. Amongst its work in this field has been the publication of a report in collaboration with the Ashraf Campaign which confirmed the involvement of forces loyal to then Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in the 2013 Camp Ashraf massacre.
The HSC acts as the secretariat for the British Parliament’s All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Yemen. As such, it provides administrative support, and compiles up-to-date research to support the body’s discussions on the ongoing Yemeni Civil War.
The HSC co-sponsored and promoted the Emmy-nominated 2015 short film My Enemy, My Brother, which tells the story of an encounter on the battlefield between and an Iraqi and an Iranian soldier during the Iran-Iraq War, and their reconciliation decades later. The HSC have also supported the UK release of La Soledad, a film exploring a family’s suffering during the ongoing crisis in Venezuela.
The HSC was founded and is currently led by Julie Lenarz and Dr Dwayne Menezes. In addition to being HSC Executive Director, Ms Lenarz is also a senior fellow at The Israel Project and a regular columnist for The Daily Telegraph. Dr Menezes is an HSC Director, and also a founder and Director of the Polar Research and Policy Initiative.
• Geopolitics • Think tank • Foreign policy
- Donovan, Samantha. "Barcelona terrorist attack was a matter of 'when', not 'if': think tank". The ABC. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Human Security Centre. "About | Human Security Centre". HSCentre.org. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Cohen, Nick. "How smearing a woman's reputation was irresistible for the media". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- ArcHumankind. "Preventing Radicalisation from Imperilling Society and Mankind". www.archumankind.com. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "PM Defends MI5 After 'Jihadi John' Named" (Video). Sky News. 27 February 2015. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "HSC Executive Director on BBC News discussing intelligence sharing" (Video). BBC News/HSC. 22 November 2015. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Should Britain join air strikes in Iraq?" (Video). Channnel 4 News. 24 September 2014. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "HSC Executive Director on CNN discussing Mali hostage crisis" (Video). CNN/HSC. 20 November 2015. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Lenarz, Julie. "Not nearly enough of the President's men: Obama's inaction is quietly devastating the Middle East". The Independent. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Evans, Sophie Jane. "'They cut them off with a butcher's knife': Syrian boy, 14, describes horrific moment ISIS militant dubbed 'The Bulldozer' hacked off his HAND and FOOT because he refused to join terror group". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Lenarz, Julie. "Isil may have lost a battle or two, but the war for control of Syria is not over". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Blundy, Rachel. "Campaigners march through London to protest against ISIS attacks on Iraqis and Syrians". The Evening Standard. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Lenarz, Julie. "It's Time for the Kurds to Set Up Their Own Nation". The Human Security Centre. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Florick, Davis. "Relieving Pressure on China: Alternative Means to Constrain Pyongyang". The Human Security Centre. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Croucher, Shane. "Minsk ceasefire deal: Will the Ukraine crisis kill Nato?". International Business Times. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Allison, George. "An Alternative Strategic Defence and Security Review". UK Defence Journal. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Allport, Rowan. "SDSR 2015 and the Army: Written Evidence from the Human Security Centre" (PDF). House of Commons Defence Commitee. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Allport, Rowan. "Defence in the Arctic: Written evidence submitted by the Human Security Centre" (PDF). House of Commons Defence Sub-commitee. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Report on the September 1st Massicare at Camp Ashraf" (PDF). HSC/Ashraf Campaign/HSC. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Conflict in Yemen: The Forgotten Crisis" (PDF). Yemen APPG/HSC. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Menezes, Dwayne. "Private viewing of HSC-sponsored Oscar-nominated, Emmy-shortlisted film "My Enemy, My Brother"". Human Security Centre. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Menezes, Dwayne. "The Venezuela Crisis: HSC to host screenings of film La Soledad". Human Security Centre. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Julie Lenarz". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Directors". Polar Research and Policy Initiative. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Human Security Centre Official Website
- Human Security Centre Facebook page
- Human Security Centre Twitter feed
- Human Security Centre YouTube channel
- The Two Per Cent Solution: An Alternative Strategic Defence and Security Review
This article "Human Security Centre" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Human Security Centre. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.