Institute of Global Concern
|Sophia University, Tokyo|
Institute of Global Concern (IGC) (上智大学グローバル・コンサーン研究所 (Japanese)) traces its origin to 1977 and the Indochina refugee crisis. A part of Jesuit Sophia University, Tokyo, it now works, among the university community and society at large, to raise awareness of the impact of globalization especially on the poor.
IGC strives to foster a sense of the dignity and solidarity of all the world's peoples by sponsoring research, symposia, and other activities leading to greater understanding and action.
IGC sponsors surveys and research into global problems of poverty and violence, along with events such as lectures and seminars. It works in solidarity with the needy, and forms networks within and outside the University.
Recently published Sophia symposia proceedings include the following:
- The Role of the University in the Age of Globalization: Can Education Bring About Social Renewal? 31st International Symposium. Tokyo: GYOSEI, 2013. ISBN 9784324096260 Search this book on ..
- Counter-movements to Globalization and the Possibility of an Alternative World. 29th International Symposium. Tokyo: Gendaikikakushitsu, 2010. ISBN 9784773810172 Search this book on ..
- Globalization, Poverty and Social Exclusion in Developed Countries: First-hand Perspectives on the Homeless, “Freeters,” and Migrant Workers. 27th International Symposium. São Paulo. ISBN 9784805626160 Search this book on ..
Since 1977 Sophia Relief Service (SRS) has held an annual charity bazaar for the benefit of Southeast Asian refugees. Another IGC work, Giving a Hand to the World’s Poor, raises consciousness and promotes research on behalf of the impoverished worldwide. Surveys and studies are published in “Sophia Relief Service”, a twice-yearly report.
- Purpose. Accessed 9 April 2016.
- "Projects". Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Listing of symposia. Accessed 9 April 2016.
- "公開研究会のお知らせ | 武内清（教育社会学）研究室". www.takeuchikiyoshi.com (in 日本語). Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "AYUS". Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "PBV". Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "JAIR". Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Sophia University 33rd International Symposium: Revival of Democracy in the Global Age? Beyond the Crisis of Representation". Democracy Now!. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Activities. Accessed 9 April 2016.
This article "Institute of Global Concern" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Institute of Global Concern. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.