|Port of registry:||IMO # 5222354|
The Iuventa is a former fishing vessel built in 1962 at the shipyard Scheepswerf Vooruit in Zaandam. The ship was originally used for fishing until it was sold and converted into an offshore support ship. It was resold in late 2001 and renamed Alk Explorer. In 2016, the ship became property of the Jugend Rettet group, and was rebuilt for rescuing purposes. Since July 2016, the ship operates in the Mediterranean, mainly assisting shipwrecked refugees.
On 2 August 2017, the Iuventa was seized by the Italian judiciary and the crew was put under investigation for "assistance with illegal immigration and migration". The ten crew members are under trial, which will begin in Autumn 2019.However, presented in 2018 at the Manifesta 12 in Palermo, Italy, a Goldsmiths, University of London-based Forensic Oceanography and Forensic Architecture team of researchers came to the conclusion that the crew of the Iuventa neither communicated with nor returned empty boats back to the traffickers, thereby invalidating the Italian public prosecutor's allegations.
On 10 May 2019 the crew of the Iuventa was honored by the Swiss Paul Grüninger Foundation with a human rights award for saving the lives of around 14000 people in the central Mediterranean.
- Pia Klemp
- "Iuventa characteristics". Johns Scheepvaart Photos. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "The Iuventa". Youth Rescue. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "Italy under fire over charges against migrant rescue volunteer". Euronews.
- "Volunteers from the ship Iuventa saved thousands of migrant lives on the Mediterranean; now they could face prison". ABC News.
- "Iuventa Crew Receives Human Rights Award". IUVENTA - Solidarity at sea. 2019-05-24. Retrieved 2019-07-04.
- Heller, Charles; Pezzani, Lorenzo (2018-04-20). "The Crime of Rescue - The Iuventa Case - An investigation by Forensic Oceanography and Forensic Architecture". The Seizure of the Iuventa. Forensic Oceanography and Forensic Architecture, Goldsmiths, University of London, London, UK. Retrieved 2019-07-02.  [33:45 min]
- Cinque, Michele; Brüning, Christof; Dizdarevic, Ognjen; Frotscher, René; Jeschner, Thomas; Zobelt, Volker; Pancaldi, Luca; Cocco, Martina; Lassandro, Piero, eds. (2018-07-09) [2018-06-10]. Iuventa (documentary film) (in Deutsch, English, and العربية). Italy / Germany: Lazy Film / Bright frame / Rai CinemaSearch this book on   [86 min] / Sunday Filmproduktions GmbH / ZDF / 3Sat.
- Riepe, Manfred (2018-08-13). "Doku über Flüchtlingsschiff "Iuventa" - Vom Schüler-Projekt zum Politikum". Der Tagesspiegel (in Deutsch). Berlin, Germany. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- "Iuventa Crew Receives Human Rights Award in Switzerland". The Maritime Executive. Retrieved 2019-07-04.
- Karrasch, Tanja, ed. (2017-07-12). "Tödliches Mittelmeer - Unterwegs mit freiwilligen Helfern". RP Online (video documentary) (in Deutsch). Retrieved 2019-07-09. [9:57 min] (NB. Filmed on Iuventa's fourth mission in 2017.)
- Behrendt, Carsten, ed. (2017-07-24). "iuventa – Unterwegs mit Flüchtlingsrettern auf dem Mittelmeer" [iuventa – Rescuing refugees in the Mediterranean Sea]. ZDF (3D-video documentary) (in Deutsch and English). Retrieved 2019-07-09.   [13:43 min] (NB. Filmed on Iuventa in 2017.)
|This article about a specific civilian ship or boat is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Iuventa" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Iuventa. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.