Dr. J.P. Giroud ECP, Ph.D. (Member of the US National Academy of Engineering)[edit | edit source]
Jean-Pierre Giroud, a French geotechnical engineer, is recognized worldwide as a pioneer of geosynthetics expert. He is also considered as a ‘’father of geosynthetic liner systems’’.
Dr. Jean-Pierre Giroud has developed a number of detailed design methods used in geosynthetics engineering with more than 47 years of experience. Some of the design methods are liner leakage evaluation, drainage systems, leachate collection and leakage detection layers, liner system stability, reinforcement of liners and soil layers overlying voids, geomembrane stress and strain analysis, evaluation of geomembrane properties, connections between geomembranes and rigid structures, geomembrane uplift by wind and so on.
Dr. Giroud has developed a number of methods for the design of liner systems in reservoirs, dams, landfills, tailings, etc. 
Biography[edit | edit source]
He got his Ph.D. in geotechnical engineering from Ecole Centrale de Paris. Dr. Giroud, who was influential in the formation of International Geosynthetic Society (IGS), was past president of IGS. He was also director of the Geotextiles and Geomembranes Group of Woodward Consultants (1978-1983). Following years, he was the co-founder, former Chairman of the Board, and Chairman Emeritus of GeoSyntec Consultants (1983-2001) and past Chairman (two terms) of the Technical Committee on Geosynthetics of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE). He is also co-founder and Chairman of the Editorial Board of the two main technical journals in the field of geosynthetics engineering, Geotextiles and Geomembranes (1984-1994) and Geosynthetics International (1994-present). Dr. J.P. Giroud was also the keynote lecturer at the opening session of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th International Conferences on Geosynthetics (1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, and 2006). Dr. Giroud is now an independent consultant since 2001. 
Awards[edit | edit source]
- Coined the terms “geotextile” and “geomembrane”, which led to the geo-terminology used in the geosynthetics discipline (1977)
- Chairman of the second International Conference on Geotextiles (1982).
- Chairman of the International Conference on Geomembranes (1984)
- The highest level of recognition in the field of geosynthetics engineering was bestowed upon Dr. Giroud when the Council of the IGS decided that the opening lecture of each International Conferences on Geosynthetics will be called The Giroud Lecture (1994).
- IGS Award, 1994, for work on liner leakage (1994).
- Honorary Member of the IGS with the citation “Dr. Giroud is truly the father of the IGS and the geosynthetics discipline” (2002).
- IGS Award, 2004, for work on filters.(2004)
- Delivered the Vienna Terzaghi Lecture.(2005)
- Status of “hero” of the Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).(2005)
- Delivered the Mercer Lectures, a lecture series endorsed jointly by the IGS and the ISSMGE.(2005-2006)
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the Technical University of Bucharest (Romania) (2007)
- Delivered the ASCE Terzaghi Lecture (2008)
- Elected to the US National Academy of Engineering (2009) "for pioneering research in geosynthetics engineering and its practical application in civil/geotechnical engineering".
- Appointed Chevalier in the Order of the Légion d’Honneur (2010)
- Felix Centraliens award, Paris, France (2013)
- IGS Service Award for the founding of the two official journals of the IGS (2014)
- Delivered the Victor de Mello lecture of the ISSMGE (2016)
Books[edit | edit source]
Dr. Giroud has authored over 390 technical papers on subjects that are relating to geosynthetics, foundation design, dams, and so on. He also wrote seven books. Those are:
- Design of Geomembrane Applications, Geosynthetics International
- Control of Liquid Migration Using Geosynthetics Liner Systems, Geosynthetics International
- Liquid Collection Systems
- Geosynthetic Design Examples
- Geosynthetics Bibliography
- Tables pour le Calcul des foundations
- Testament et stabilité des foundations superficially
References[edit | edit source]
This article "Jean-Pierre Giroud" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Jean-Pierre Giroud/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- "Jean-Pierre Giroud". Wikipedia (in Deutsch). 2017-06-10.
- "Giroud, Biographical Note und Terzaghi Lecture" (PDF).
- "National Academy of Engineering elects 65 members and nine foreign associates", News from the National Academies, The National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine, February 6, 2009