Jerry G. Blaivas
|Jerry G. Blaivas, M.D.|
|Edit this InfoBox|
|Born||Brooklyn, New York|
|Education||Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston City Hospital|
|Years active||June, 1971 - present|
|Known for||Research and Development, Urology, Medical Journal Editor|
|Relatives||Sue Blaivas (spouse), three children|
|Website||Uro Center of New York|
Jerry Blaivas, MD, is an American urologist and Senior Faculty at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City and Adjunct Professor of Urology at SUNY Downstate Medical School in Brooklyn, as well as Professor of Clinical Urology at College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University and Clinical Professor of Urology at Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Described as “internationally renowned” by Mesh Medical Device Newsdesk, he is the founder of the Institute for Bladder and Prostate Research as well as a co-founder of Symptelligence Medical Informatics, LLC, a software company that designs clinical decision-making and outcomes by way of mobile research and dissemination software. He has four patents pending; received four research grants for which he served as the principal investigator; as of 2018 published 216 peer-reviewed articles, 14 books and 219 book chapters and served as a major in the United States Army, assigned to the Walson Army Hospital.
In 1981 he founded Neurourology and Urodynamics and served as its editor-in-chief through 2007. In 1988 he founded the Institute for Bladder and Prostate Research, a not-for-profit dedicated to research about treatment options for urological conditions.
Since 1992, he has ranked on Castle Connelly as Best Doctor in America as well as Best Doctor in New York.
Blaivas received his MD at Tufts School of Medicine in 1968. His internship and residency in general surgery were at Boston City Hospital, 1968 – 1971. His residency in urology was at Tufts New England Medical Center from 1973 – 1976, and his certification with the American Board of Urology, where he has also served as an examiner, in 1978.
Current and professional memberships include but aren’t limited to the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons, American Board of Urology, American College of Surgeons American Urogynecologic Society, American Urological Association, International Continence Society, Societe Internationale d'Urologie, Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology as well as the Society of Pelvic Surgeons.
He lectured internationally on urological topics related to the the lower urinary tract. In 2018, he presented at the International Prostate Cancer and Urological Oncology Symposium.
Significant positions held include:
- Editor-in-Chief, Neurology and Urodynamics
- Chief Scientific Officer, Symptelligence Medical Informatics LLC
- Medical Director, Institute for Bladder and Prostate Research
- New Technology Council American Urological Association (1993 – 1997)
- Biomedical Engineering Committee, American Urological Association (1990 - 1993)
- Voiding Dysfunction Committee, American Urological Association (1996 - 2000)
- President, Urodynamic Society (1992 – 1993)
Blaivas is married and has three children.
His pending patents focus on technological applications of data capture and medical information systems; he was Principal Investigator on three grants focused on Multiple sclerosis and has been funded by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Two of those research projects studied voiding disturbances, and the resulting video urodynamic technology became commercially available.
He has been active in classification systems for incontinence, detrusor-external sphincter dyssynergia, overactive bladder, urinary urgency, nocturia, bladder outlet obstruction in women and urethral strictures. In 2018, Blaivas and other panelists presented at the International Continence Society's annual meeting a new phenotype classification system for nocturia that could lead to more diagnostic methods and treatment pathways for the condition. 
Many of his peer-reviewed articles are on urethral reconstruction in women, and he has performed over 140 urethral reconstructions.
|Attorney Docket No.||Application No.||Title||Inventors|
|SS-001US||13/747,511; US20140207487A1||Medical Diary System||Jerry Blaivas, Stuart Smyth|
|SS-008US||15/311,294; WO2015176072A1||Patient-Centric Medical Information System Including Mobile Application, Scoring Model and Physician Portal||Jerry Blaivas, Stuart Smyth|
|SS-010PV||62/481,110||Determining Phenotypes Using Electronic Data Capture||Jerry Blaivas|
|SS-011PV||62/481,689||Determining Clinical Pathway Recommendations Based On
Phenotype Using Electronic Data Capture
|Principal Investigator||The diagnosis, treatment and national history of voiding disturbances in Multiple Sclerosis
Grant # RT1108-B-2
|National Multiple Sclerosis Society||$78,400|
|Principal Investigator||The diagnosis, treatment and national history of voiding disturbances in multiple sclerosis.
Grant # RT1108-B-2
|National Multiple Sclerosis Society||$113,915|
|Principal Investigator||Urodynamics of Aging AFAR CU50384501||American Federation
|Principal Investigator||Neurourodynamic Evaluation Sclerosis Foundation of Multiple Sclerosis Grant # RG1997-A-4||National Multiple Sclerosis Society||$116,682|
Honors and awards
- Ferdinand C. Valentine Award, New York Academy of Medicine, 2015
- “Four Fathers,” Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine & Urogenital Reconstruction, 2013
- Victor A. Politano Award, American Urological Association, 2009
- Establishment of the Annual Jerry G. Blaivas Honorary Lectureship, Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology, in 2007
- Continence Care Champion, National Association for Continence, 2005
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology, 1999
- Brantley Scott, M.D., Award, American Foundation for Urologic Disease, 1999
- J. Marion Sims Lecture, American Uro-Gynecologic Society, 1993
- NeuroUrology and Urodynamics: Principles and Practice, Edited by Yalla S, McGuire EM, Elbadawi A, Blaivas JG, New York, MacMillan Publishing Co., 1988 ISBN 0024308706
- Practical Neurourology: Genitourinary Complications in Neurourologic Disease, Edited by Blaivas JG, Chancellor MB. Butterworth-Heineman, Boston, 1995. ISBN 9780750695565
- Topics in Clinical Urology: Evaluation and Treatment of Urinary Incontinence, Edited by Blaivas JG. Igaku-Shoin. New York,1996. ISBN 9780896403062
- Blaivas JG. Urodynamics. Fast Facts: Urology Highlights 1996; Healthpress, Abingdon, UK, 1996.
- Blaivas JG. Conquering Bladder and Prostate Problems: an Authoritative Guide for Men and Women, Plenum Publishing Corp. New York, 1998. ISBN 9780738204390
- Flisser AJ, Weiss JP, Blaivas JG. Fast Facts in Neurourology and Urodynamics, In: Urology Highlights 2001-02, Shah J, Editor, Health Press, Ltd, Oxford, UK ISBN 0024308706
- Blaivas JG, Chancellor MB, Verhaaren MR, Weiss JP (eds.). Atlas of Urodynamics (2nd Ed.), Wiley-Blackwell, 2007. ISBN 9781405146258
- Blaivas JG, Weiss JP. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms, an Issue of Urologic Clinics (The Clinics: Internal Medicine). Saunders/Elsevier Health Sciences, 2009. ISBN 9781437712797
- Blaivas, JG, Purohit, RS, Diagnosis and Treatment of Overactive Bladder, Oxford University Press, New York, 2011 ISBN 9780199753727
- Weiss, JP, Blaivas, JG, van Kerrebroeck, PEV, Wein, AJ, Nocturia: Causes, Consequences and Clinical Approaches, Springer, New York, 2012 ISBN 9781461411550
Partial list of peer-reviewed articles:
- Blaivas JG. The Neurophysiology of Micturition: a clinical study of 550 patients. J Urol 127:958-3,1982 Heritz DM, Romanzi LJ, Blaivas JG. The Surgery of Vesico-Vaginal Fistula: Early vs. Late, Abdominal vs. Vaginal Repair. J Urol 153:1110-3,1995. PMID 7087000
- Blaivas JG, Marks BK, Weiss JP, Panagopoulos G, Somaroo C. Differential diagnosis of overactive bladder in men. J Urol. 2009 Dec;182(6):2814-7. PMID 19837417
- Blaivas JG, Purohit RS, Weinberger JM, Tsui JF, Chouhan J, Sidhu R, Saleem K. Salvage Surgery after Failed Treatment of Synthetic Mesh Sling Complications. J Urol. 2013 Mar 19. PMID 23523928
- Flisser AJ, Walmsely K, Blaivas JG. Urodynamic classification of patients with symptoms of overactive bladder. J. Urol 2003. 169(2): 529-534. PMID 12544302
- Blaivas JG, Santos JA, Tsui JF, Deibert CM, Rutman MP, Purohit RS, Weiss JP. Management of urethral stricture in women. J Urol. 2012 Nov;188(5):1778-82. PMID 22998912
- Blaivas JG, Groutz A. Bladder outlet obstruction nomogram for women with lower urinary tract symptomatology. Neuorourol Urodyn 19:553-4, 2000. PMID 11002298
- Blaivas JG, Simma-Chiang V, Gul Z, Dayan L, Kalkan S, Daniel M., Surgery for Stress Urinary Incontinence: Autologous Fascial Sling, Urol Clin North Am. 2019 Feb;46(1):41-52. doi: 10.1016/j.ucl.2018.08.014. Review. PMID 30466701
- Purohit RS, Golan R, Copeli F, Weinberger J, Benedon M, Mekel G, Blaivas JG. Natural History of Low-stage Urethral Strictures. Urology. 2017 Oct;108:180-183. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.05.025. Epub 2017 May 25. PMID 28552818
- Forde JC, Davila JL, Marks BK, Epstein M, Tsui JF, Weiss JP, Blaivas JG. Urogynecological conditions associated with overactive bladder symptoms in women. Can Urol Assoc J. 2017 Mar-Apr;11(3-4):E83-E87. doi: 10.5489/cuaj.3962. Epub 2017 Mar 16. PMID 28360952
- Blaivas JG, Forde JC, Davila JL, Policastro L, Tyler M, Aizen J, Badri A, Purohit RS, Weiss JP. Surgical treatment of detrusor underactivity: a short-term proof of concept study. Int Braz J Urol. 2017 May-Jun;43(3):540-548. doi: 10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2016.0405. PMID 28266820
- Blaivas JG, Purohit RS, Benedon MS, Mekel G, Stern M, Billah M, Olugbade K, Bendavid R, Iakovlev V. Safety considerations for synthetic sling surgery. Nat Rev Urol. 2015 Sep;12(9):481-509. doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2015.183. Epub 2015 Aug 18. Review. PMID 26282209
- Blaivas JG, Tsui JF, Amirian M, Ranasinghe B, Weiss JP, Haukka J, Tikkinen KA. Relationship between voided volume and the urge to void among patients with lower urinary tract symptoms. Scand J Urol. 2014 Dec;48(6):554-8. doi: 10.3109/21681805.2014.932842. Epub 2014 Jul 16. PMID 25029069
- "About Dr. Jerry Blaivas, MD". US News and World Report. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "New Nocturia Classification System Proposed". Renal and Urology News. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Rock Star Urologist for the Plaintiff Does Not Use Synthetic Mesh". Mesh News Desk. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Jerry Blaivas". Academic Dictionaries and Encyclopedias. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Highlights from SUFU 2019 Winter Meeting". Uro Today. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "The Institute for Bladder and Prostate Research". IBRS. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Dr. Jerry G. Blaivas". Castle Connelly Top Doctors. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Blaivas, Jerry". American College of Surgeons. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- "Largest Urology Meeting in the World To Include Physician-Scientists From NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital". NewYork-Presbyterian Newsroom. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- "3rd International Conference on Prostate Cancer and Urologic Oncology Symposium". Mount Sinai Urology. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Neurology and urodynamics. Vol. 1. No. 1. Editor‐in‐chief J. G. Blaivas". Wiley Online Library. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "How to Assess Maximum Voided Volume: Comparison Of Maximum Voided Volume Obtained During Uroflow To Maximum Voided Volume Obtained By Frequency Volume Chart in Women" (PDF). International Continece Society. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "International continence society guidelines on urodynamic equipment performance". Urology and Urodynamics. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "New Nocturia Classification System Proposed". Renal and Urology News. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "Atlas of Urodynamics" (PDF). Blackwell Publishing. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Medical diary system". Google Patents. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- "Patient-centric medical information system including mobile application". Google Patents. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- "SUFU Research Foundation 1st Annual Special Symposium". Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine and Urological Reconstruction. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "AUA Award History - New York Section, AUA". nyaua.com. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "AUA Recognized Top Urologists, Contributors to Urology". American Urological Association. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Urinary incontinence
- Neurogenic bladder dysfunction
- Emergency medicine
- Multiple sclerosis
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Jerry G. Blaivas, MD Named the Top Urologist in New York
- New York Urologist's Inspiration for Becoming a Physician
- Neurology and Urodynamics
- Mesh News Desk: Renowned Urologist for the Plaintiffs Does Not Use Synthetic Mesh
This article "Jerry G. Blaivas" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Jerry G. Blaivas. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.