This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michael Kors Spring-Summer 2014
26 December 1992
Career[edit | edit source]
Aas was scouted at age fourteen while dancing with an ensemble at a summer music festival in Tallinn by a representative for an Estonian modeling agency. Aas initially declined the offer, but took the representative's business card home with her and showed it to her parents, who suggested she try modeling. Accompanied by her parents, Aas went to the agency and a short time later signed a contract.
Aas made her London modeling debut in 2009, first opening the show for Christopher Kane, then opening and also closing for Prada, and then in Paris exclusively modeling for Miu Miu. In a 2009 article titled "Meet the new girl: Kätlin Aas," The Cut remarked on her Prada "runway coup,"  while Lexposure.net, a now-defunct fashion zine, called her debut "a rarity for any model."
She has also modelled for many other brands such as Versace, Givenchy, Michael Kors, GAP, Missoni Dior, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs, Haider Ackermann, and Yves Saint Laurent. In 2013 Aas was ranked as one of Models.com's top 50 models. The same year, she appeared on the cover of Ukrainian Vogue with Eugene Hütz of Gogol Bordello. In 2014, she appeared on the June/July cover of Numéro. and the July cover of Vogue Turkey with Devon Windsor and Jeneil Williams. In February 2017, she appeared on the cover of Vogue Portugal. In July 2017, she was featured on the cover of Harper's Bazaar magazine. In 2018, she appeared on the December cover of Dutch Vogue. Aas has also appeared in Polish, Mexican, German, Chinese, Russian, Thai, Spanish, Japanese. and Italian editions of Vogue.
In addition to her modeling work, Aas appeared as an actress in Dior's 2014 campaign "Secret Garden." She, Daria Strokous, and Fei Fei Sun were portrayed as The Three Graces in the gardens of Versailles. 
According to Italian Vogue, Aas stands out "for her features that are at the same time modern and retro, but also for her great versatility that have earned her a starring role in the spring/summer 2012 ad campaigns for Francesco Scognamiglio and Ter et Bantine.
Controversy[edit | edit source]
On 4 August 2014, Gap Inc. posted a photograph of Aas modeling a plaid shirt on Twitter that received a backlash over Aas' thin appearance. Twitter users responded to the image, in part, by calling Aas a "zombie", a "concentration camp prisoner," and "anorexic." Gap representative Edie Kissko responded to the criticism by stating that Gap's goal was to always promote diversity and to support people as they are, adding, "Customer feedback is important to us, and we think this conversation is a valuable lesson." The company, however, refused to remove the image. Aas responded to the criticism by posting a photograph of herself on her Instagram page posed as though she is about to consume a plate of pills, cotton, and cigarettes, with the caption, "Given everyone's opinion, should this be my breakfast?"
References[edit | edit source]
- "Kätlin Aas". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- Tael, Triin (12 August 2014). "Eesti supermodell kriitikatule all: "Ta on kõhn nagu zombi!"" (in Estonian). Õhtuleht. Retrieved 15 January 2019.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Katlin Aas". Interview (magazine). January 17, 2017. Retrieved January 13, 2019.
Born on Boxing Day in Estonia, Aas made her runway debut seven years ago at Christopher Kane in London. Since then, she’s starred in campaigns for Marc by Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Valentino, Dior, Alexander Wang, and MAC Cosmetics, and graced the pages of Interview multiple times, most recently wearing some of Rick Owens’s most iconic pieces.
- Okwodu, Janelle (September 24, 2015). "Why Prada's Model Casting Matters". Vogue. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
Prada consistently launches careers, and though not every model selected for a Prada exclusive contract goes on to greatness, the brand’s success rate is enviable. Those chosen to open the show, walk in it exclusively, or debut via a Prada campaign are essentially winners of modeling’s golden ticket, and many now-famous names got their first break via Prada. ... Models like Suvi Koponen (opened Spring 2007), Katlin Aas (opened Fall 2009) [and others] .. all came into their own with appearances at Prada.
- "The Top Models of the Spring 2012 Show Season and Their Most Memorable Moments (In Their Words!)". Fashionista. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Lim, James (October 13, 2009). "Meet the New Girl: Katlin Aas". The Cut. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
Opening the Prada show is regarded as one of modeling’s most coveted positions. Though in the past few seasons, some of the label’s openers faded as quickly as they rose to prominence. Katlin Aas, who opened the fall 2009 show, just might become more than another flash in the pan. After her runway coup, the Estonian model booked the fall Prada campaign, shot by Steven Meisel, and walked the Givenchy couture show. Editorial spreads in Numero and the current issue of Pop followed.
- "Lexposure's Top Ten Newcomer Models of Fall/Winter 2009". Lexposure.net. March 25, 2009. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
When this Estonian suddenly opened Christopher Kane in London, all eyes were immediately on that other elusive opening spot in fashion week. Yes, the one at Prada. And she got it! Not only that, the Prada exclusive also scored the closing spot — a rarity for any model. Exclusively doing Miu Miu in Paris as an addition to her earlier shows gives Katlin the ultimate start for a great career.
- "Fall 2013 Couture Atelier Versace". Vogue. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Spring 2014 ready-to-wear Versace Collection". Vogue. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Tael, Triin (16 February 2012). "Michael Korsi moešõus esines koguni KOLM eesti kaunitari!" (in Estonian). Õhtuleht. Retrieved 15 January 2019.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Missoni 2015 Resort Collection". Vogue. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Las mejor vestidas de la semana". Vogue Mexico. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Bladt, Marie. "NYFW: take a look at the models flaunting their tattoos on the New York Fashion Week runways". Vogue. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- Beddie, Alainna Lexie (February 19, 2013). "Model Diary: Katlin Aas". T: The New York Times Style Magazine. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
Katlin Aas, the Estonia-born model whose four-year career includes a Marc Jacobs campaign and various runways ranging from Jean Paul Gaultier to Givenchy, has already been in more than 20 shows this season (including yesterday’s Christopher Kane and Giles shows)
- "Model Profile". NYmag. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Top 50 Models: 45-41". Models.com. Archived from the original on 12 August 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "Ukraina Vogue'i esikaanel poseerib Eesti kaunitar" (in Estonian). Elu24/Postimees. 23 April 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2019.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Pijak, Jana. "Suburban Couture Editorials". Trend Hunter. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Vogue Portugal: Vogue Portugal February 2017 Covers". models.com. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Vogue Netherlands:Vogue Netherlands December 2018 Cover". models.com. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- Netherlands Vogue website
- "Vogue Poland: Katlin by Marcin". models.com. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Vogue Germany:Femme Universelle". models.com. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Vogue China Collections: Simply Herself". models.com. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Vogue Russia: Twilight Portrait". models.com. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Vogue Thailand: In The Man's World". models.com. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Photo & Motion". De facto. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Katlin Aas photography by Andreas Ajodin for Vogue Japan". HUF magazine. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Vogue Italia: The Way To Be". models.com. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Hyland, Véronique (May 30, 2014). "Watch: Dior's Dreamlike Trip to Versaille". The Cut. Retrieved January 13, 2019.
Power duo Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin have unveiled part three of their “Secret Garden” series for Christian Dior, set in Versailles. With Depeche Mode on the soundtrack, Daria Strokous, Fei Fei Sun, and Kätlin Aas play an updated version of the Three Graces.
- Young, Meghan (May 28, 2014). "The Dior Secret Garden III Campaign Stars Daria, Fei Fei and Katlin". Trendhunter. Retrieved January 13, 2019.
Starring models Daria Strokous, Fei Fei Sun and Katlin Aas, the Dior Secret Garden III ad campaign was shot by photography duo Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin.
- "Katlin Aas: The Estonian model that has enchanted designers". Vogue Italy. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Outrageously Skinny Models Are a Complicated Issue". The Fashion Law. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- Pärn, Linda (8 August 2014). "Tuntud moebränd sattus ülikõhna modelli tõttu kriitikatule alla" (in Estonian). Postimees. Retrieved 16 January 2019.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Anoreksias süüdistatud Eesti supermodell Kätlin Aas andis Instagrami pildiga avalikkusele vihase vastuhoobi: vähemalt on mul aju!" (in Estonian). Kroonika. 12 August 2014. Retrieved 15 January 2019.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kätlin Aas.|
This article "Kätlin Aas" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Kätlin Aas. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.