List of Colorado Rockies no-hitters
The Colorado Rockies are a Major League Baseball franchise based in Denver, Colorado. Formed in 1993, they play in the National League West division. Pitchers for the Rockies have thrown one no-hitter in franchise history, which was accomplished by Ubaldo Jiménez on April 17, 2010. A no-hitter is officially recognized by Major League Baseball only "when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings". No-hitters of less than nine complete innings were previously recognized by the league as official; however, several rule alterations in 1991 changed the rule to its current form. A no-hitter is common enough that only one team in Major League Baseball has never had a pitcher accomplish the feat.[a]
The umpire is also an integral part of any no-hitter. The task of the umpire in a baseball game is to make any decision "which involves judgment, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out… [the umpire's judgment on such matters] is final." Part of the duties of the umpire making calls at home plate includes defining the strike zone, which "is defined as that area over homeplate (sic) the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap." These calls define every baseball game and are therefore integral to the completion of any no-hitter.
No perfect games, a special subcategory of no-hitter, have been thrown in Rockies history. As defined by Major League Baseball, "in a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game."
List of no-hitters in Rockies history
|¶||Indicates a perfect game|
|£||Pitcher was left-handed|
|*||Member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum|
|1||April 17, 2010||Ubaldo Jiménez||4–0||6||@ Atlanta Braves||Miguel Olivo||Jeff Kellogg||Jim Tracy||
- List of Major League Baseball no-hitters
- a The only team without a no-hitter in franchise history is the San Diego Padres.
- "Colorado Rockies Franchise History". ESPN. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- "MLB Miscellany: Rules, regulations and statistics". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- Kurkjian, Tim (June 29, 2008). "No-hit win makes no sense, except in baseball". ESPN. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- "Umpires: Rules of Interest". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- Bronson, Eric. Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box, Pgs 98–99. ISBN 0-8126-9556-9. Retrieved November 21, 2010. Search this book on
- "Colorado Rockies". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- "April 17, 2010 Colorado Rockies at Atlanta Braves Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
This article "List of Colorado Rockies no-hitters" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:List of Colorado Rockies no-hitters. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.