Welcome to EverybodyWiki ! Nuvola apps kgpg.png Sign in or create an account to improve, watchlist or create an article like a company page or a bio (yours ?)...

List of ICT projects in india

From EverybodyWiki Bios & Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search


'Electronics and ICT Academy'

The big problem[edit]

The boom in the Information Technology industry spanned across the globe releasing millions of jobs for the young and skilled graduates. As per the report of the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) that was published last year, only 20 percent of the five million students who graduate every year get employed. According to Indian government statistics, approximately 1.5 million students complete their engineering degrees every year. An employability assessment company Aspiring Minds gave a report which says that 95% of the engineering graduates in India are not fit for software development jobs. Mr. C. P. Gurnani, MD & CEO of Tech Mahindra says that 94% of engineers in India are unfit to be hired. If the industries only hire 6% of the engineering graduates from the country, then what happens to the other 94%? According to Mr. Varun Aggarwal, the CTO and co-founder of Aspiring Minds, 94% of the engineering graduates do not get jobs because they lack basic numerical, logical and communications skills which greatly affects their employability. In an interview with Business Today, Mr. Aggarwal said, "In the IT industry, if you can write a program with 15-20 lines of codes, you get hired by the company. In the Electronics industry, if you know the basic application of Kirchoff's law, and can assemble the circuit accordingly, then you get a job. But, when put under test, the students fail to do such basic things."

As per the latest National Employability Report by Aspiring Minds, there are more than 80% of engineers in India who are not employed. The below graph shows the trends, which indicates no improvement in the past 5 years. A survey was conducted by Aspiring minds in which more than 150K engineering graduates from 650 engineering colleges participated, and it was found that more than 40% of them had trouble in comprehending the text written in English. This is another potential reason for unemployment. The trends explains the situation very well. All the report figures give an idea of the skill gaps in the students.

'Why this skill gap?'[edit]

The problem of the skill gaps lies at the college level itself. The Indian students tend to lag behind in the skills because of the education system in India which focuses more on academics and ignores the need for developing employability skills in the students. In the current curriculum of engineering education, the project-based learning makes up 30% of the time and only 30% of the marks. However, the remaining 70% of the marks are still awarded by traditional written examination methods. It is required that curriculum is revised regularly and is developed in accordance with what industry needs. The faculties in different engineering institutions across the country follow a strict approach of teaching concepts by delivering lectures and providing written materials to the students to cram up and write in the exams. The fact is that the majority of faculties also lack some of the technical and interpersonal skills. Thus, they are reluctant towards teaching those skills to the students, and they also never encourage students to expand their skill set. There are rare institutions in the country which take up continuous and comprehensive employability tests to assess the capabilities of students and enhance their skills over time to make them job-ready.

'Bridging the gap'[edit]

The problem of employability became very serious because of the gap between the engineering institutions and industry. So, there is a requirement to transform the education sector in terms of its approach and vision. The transformation should be such that it breaks into actionable areas and brings in a positive change that can bridge the skill gap. For that, the government of India has taken a lot of initiatives towards skill development. The prime minister of India Shri Narendra Modi started a campaign named Skill India on July 15, 2015, with the mission to train more than 400 million people of the nation in various skills. A lot of initiatives are taken for skill development like National Skill Development Mission, National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, 2015, Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY), Skill Loan scheme, Rural India Skill etc.

'The Electronics & ICT Academy'[edit]

Under these skill development schemes of Government of India, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has taken an initiative towards skill development and enhancement of faculties teaching in various engineering institutions across the nation, so that they can become skilled enough to train and make their students industry ready. MeitY collaborated with various IITs of the country to come up with a platform known as Electronics and ICT Academy, primarily created to provide industry focussed courses in Electronics, IT and management domains. The first ICT Academy was set up in Tamil Nadu, which is the oldest of all. Apart from that, there are various E & ICT Academies set up in various parts of the country. They are as follows:
Electronics & ICT Academy, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur

Electronics & ICT Academy, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee

Electronics & ICT Academy, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati

Electronics and ICT Academy, IIITDM Jabalpur

Electronics and ICT Academy, National Institute of Technology, Patna

Electronics & ICT Academy, National Institute of Technology, Warangal

Electronics & ICT Academy, Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur Among these, let us discuss about Electronics & ICT Academy which is established in Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.

'Electronics & ICT Academy, IIT Kanpur'[edit]

Electronics & ICT Academy (also known by the name E & ICT Academy) is a learning platform that offers courses in Information Technology, Electronics, and Management domains. E & ICT Academy came into existence in the year 2017 as an initiative taken by Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in association with the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) Govt. of India.

'The journey roadmap'[edit]

At the inception, the primary objective of E & ICT Academy is skill enhancement of engineering faculties across the country by providing them industry focused QIP (Quality Improvement Programme) courses in the domains of IT, Electronics and Management. However, with the course of time, the academy extended its courses for students and working professionals, and entrepreneurs as well. The aim of the academy has always been to reduce the gap between the traditional academic approach and industrial approach of teaching the technologies to the learners.

'Courses/Training Modules'[edit]

At present, there are more than 100 courses being offered by the academy across the nation. The courses are available in online and offline modes. In addition, the online courses further available in the self-paced and instructor-led live classroom modes. The offline courses are available in instructor-led live classroom modes. Also, the academy offers summer training programs in various technologies for engineering students, which includes live classroom training along with a live project and certification from E & ICT Academy, IIT Kanpur. The content of the courses has been designed and created by taking valuable inputs from various faculty from IITs across the country, and industry experts.

Since establishment, 100K+ faculties/students and professionals have been registered and trained on various technologies by E & ICT Academy at IIT Kanpur, and the number is still growing.

'Prutor - Programming Tutor'[edit]

Not only the academy offers online courses, but also provides a platform for writing and practicing computer programs, to give a more concrete practical approach to learning programming. This platform is known by the name Prutor. This is a cloud based platform that was developed by Prof. Amey Karkare at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Prutor is currently used by IIT Kanpur, IIT Mumbai, IIT Goa, IISC (Indian Institute of Science) Bengaluru, and NPTEL (National Programme for Technology Enhancement and Learning). '




References[edit]

'


This article "List of ICT projects in india" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:List of ICT projects in india. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.


Compte Twitter EverybodyWiki Follow us on https://twitter.com/EverybodyWiki !