Marc A. Agnifilo is an attorney known for his role in multiple high-profile cases. Agnifilo was an Assistant US Attorney prior to his career in criminal defense. Agnifilo is employed by Benjamin Brafman's Manhattan-based firm Brafman & Associates.
Legal career[edit | edit source]
In 1990, Agnifiolo graduated from Brooklyn Law School. From 1998 to 2006, Agnifilo was an Assistant US Attorney in the District of New Jersey; In that position, he served as chief of the Violent Crimes Unit. In 2000, Agnifilo led the rackeeting prosecution against members of the International Boxing Federation.
In 2011, Agnifilo and his firm were retained by Dominique Strauss-Kahn, who had been charged with sexual assault and attempted rape of a hotel housekeeper. Those charges were ultimately dismissed.
In 2017, Agnifilo defended Martin Shkreli on three counts of fraud in federal court. Shkreli had received widespread criticism for his role in raising a drug price from US$13.5 to $750 per pill, leading him to be referred to by the media as "the most hated man in America" and "Pharma Bro". Shkreli was sentenced to seven years in federal prison and up to $7.4 million in fines.
Beginning in 2018, Agnifilo defended NXIVM founder Keith Raniere. On August 6, 2018, Agnifilo was interviewed by Megyn Kelly in his role as Raniere's representative. In 2019, a jury found Raniere guilty on all counts.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Agnifilo's wife, Karen Friedman Agnifilo, served as chief of the trial division in the Manhattan district attorney’s office. Agnifilo has three children and resided in Upstate New York.
References[edit | edit source]
- "All charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn dismissed", Los Angeles Times, 23 August 2011.
- Carolyn Y. Johnson, "'Pharma bro' Martin Shkreli refuses to testify at congressional hearing, calls lawmakers 'imbeciles' in tweet", The Washington Post (February 4, 2015).
- Shina, Lucinda (September 23, 2015). "Here's What 'The Most Hated Man in America' Thinks About Donald Trump". Fortune. New York, NY. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "Martin Shkreli - 'American's most hated man' - auctioning off chance to hit him in the face". The Telegraph. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- Tom Hays & Colleen Long, 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli cries in court, is sentenced to 7 years for securities fraud, Associated Press, March 9, 2018.
This article "Marc Agnifilo" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Marc Agnifilo. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.