Michael J. Maguire (Irish digital artist)
Michael J. Maguire is an Irish digital artist.
Maguire began his literary career in the theatre, and has been described as a "protégé" of the director and playwright Tomás Mac Anna. Throughout his youth, he spent a lot of time at his uncle's television repair shop, an experience which he claims influenced his later work as a digital artist. In 1983, he programmed a text adventure called Lost in Coolock, considered to be one of the first works of electronic literature created in Ireland.[not in citation given]
Throughout the 1990s Maguire did some writing for RTÉ and the BBC, as well as founded his own theatre company, Travelling Hibernian Ensemble, embedding multimedia in many of his productions. He would later go on to found Táintech Creative Studios, one of Ireland's first, but ultimately unsucessful, video-game development companies.
In 2019 he was invited to give a keynote lecture at the Electronic Literature Organization Conference & Media Arts Festival, the largest annual gathering of international scholars and practitioners working on electronic literature and literary games.
Maguire was born in Dundalk to Kathleen and Gerry Maguire. He has studied at Maynooth University, Dundalk Institute of Technology and University College Dublin, where he received his doctorate for a treatment of digital creative writing.
- O'Sullivan, James (2018). "Electronic Literature in Ireland". Electronic Book Review.
- The digital search for meaning: an interview with Michael Maguire (podcast) (MP3). CORA. December 2015. Unknown parameter
- Maguire, Michael J. (2008). "Promise: The Annals of the Four Masters." In The New River: A Journal of Digital Writing & Art, edited by Ed Falco, Nick Kocz, and Manisha Sharma. Blacksburg, Virginia: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. https://www.cddc.vt.edu/journals/newriver/08Fall/Promise/promise.html.
- Maguire, Michael. (2013). Digitalvitalism: Life in Electric Poetry. http://www.digitalvitalism.com/.
- Keating, Kenneth (2017-08-24). "Irish Poetry Publishing Online". Éire-Ireland. 52 (1): 321–336. doi:10.1353/eir.2017.0015. ISSN 1550-5162.
- Dr Michael J. Maguire's keynote lecture at ELO2019, University College Cork, July 15, 2019, retrieved 2020-01-06
- Maguire, Michael J. (2019-07-15). "Potential possibilities of peripheral porosity: a combinatory creative community keynote". University College Cork; Electronic Literature Organization.
- Maguire, Michael. (2014). "Digging Digital Long Grass: Creative Path Finding in Our Era of Digital and Electronic Literature." Dublin: University College Dublin. James Joyce Library.
This article "Michael J. Maguire (Irish digital artist)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Michael J. Maguire (Irish digital artist). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.