|💀Died||February 9, 1991|
Cheshire, EnglandFebruary 9, 1991
animal rights activist and hunt saboteur
Mike Hill ( - February 9, 1991) was an animal rights activist and hunt saboteur who was killed during a meet of the Cheshire Beagles, becoming the first hunt saboteur to be killed whilst trying to protect wildlife.
Hill was an vegan anarchist, that worked at both Heavens Gate Sanctuary and Freshfields Animal Rescue Centre sanctuaries and was an active hunt saboteur with Yeovil and Merseyside Saboteurs.
On February 9, 1991, Hill attempted to sabotage the Cheshire Beagles with the Merseyside Hunt Saboteurs. Together with David Blenkinsop y Pirrip Spencer, they jumped inside the back of the pick-up of hunter Alan Summerhill to prevent him from hunting at another site. After Summerhill drove at high speed to get rid of the three saboteurs, Hill panicked and tried to jump off the pick-up but accidentally fell and was crashed under it, while Summerhill kept driving for another two miles despite being warned by the two other saboteurs.
Alan Summerhill was not prosecuted over Mike's death, which nevertheless triggered a strong reaction in the animal rights community. As Jill Phipps put it:
I heard what happened to Mike Hill, it was a tragedy, but unfortunately not very surprising, since most of us have had to face a disturbed hunter anxious for blood, and it was only a matter of time before this happened.
A demonstration was held two days later in front of Summerhill's house. It rallied around 150 people and the house was attacked in front of police and media. Later the house was burned and Summerhill had to escape.
Following Hill's death there was a revival in Animal Liberation Front actions, especially those involving hunt sabotage, in the Northeast of England.
- Buck, Stephanie. "The radical animal rights movement started by secretly feeding dogs, but escalated quickly". Timeline. Medium. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Hunt saboteurs arrested". Independent. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Case dropped against huntsman". BBC News. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- Various Authors. R-209: Habla el Frente de Liberación Animal. OchoDosCuatro Ediciones. pp. 213–216. Retrieved 20 December 2017. Search this book on
- "Vida y muerte de Jill Phipps". eldiario.es. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Video: Demonstration in front of Alan Summerhill's house after Mike Hill's death". Youtube. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
This article "Mike Hill (activist)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Mike Hill (activist). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.