Moby-Dick (2019 musical)
|Basis||Moby-Dick by Herman Melville|
|Productions||2019 Cambridge, Massachusetts|
Moby-Dick is a stage musical with lyrics, music and book by Dave Malloy. It is an adaptation of Moby-Dick by Herman Melville and made its world premiere in December 2019 at the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, Massachusetts directed by Rachel Chavkin.
Production history[edit | edit source]
The musical had its world premiere at the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, Massachussetts on December 11, 2019 after one week of previews. It is scheduled to run until January 12, 2020.
Cast[edit | edit source]
|Character||Original Cambridge Cast (2019)|
|Captain Ahab||Tom Nelis|
|Father Mapple/Captain of the Albatross/Captain Boomer of the Bachelor/Captain Gardiner of the Rachel||Dawn L. Troupe|
|Pip||Morgan Siobhan Green|
|Sailor 1/The Blacksmith||Ashkon Davaran|
|Sailor 2/The Carpenter||Kim Blanck|
Reception[edit | edit source]
The Cambridge production was generally well reviewed, with praise for the music and the work of scenic designer Mimi Lien in particular, while common criticisms included the 3 1/2 hour length and the Pip section. Don Aucoin of the Boston Globe wrote that it was "ambitiously conceived and superbly executed ... if occasionally self-indulgent," while Carolyn Clay of WBUR's ARTery called it "an extraordinary sum of diverse parts." On the other hand, Christopher Caggiano of The Arts Fuse criticized the production for trying to adapt the entire book, and for "forcing" contemporary parallels.
References[edit | edit source]
- McPhee, Ryan (Dec 11, 2019). "World Premiere of Dave Malloy's Moby-Dick Musical Opens December 11 at the American Repertory Theater". Playbill. Retrieved December 26, 2019.
- Gans, Andrew (May 14, 2019). "Museum of Natural History to Present Excerpts From New Dave Malloy Musical, Moby-Dick". Playbill. Retrieved December 24, 2019.
- "Moby-Dick". American Repertory Theater. Retrieved December 26, 2019.
- Aucoin, Don (Dec 12, 2019). "A captivating 'Moby-Dick' that ripples through time". Boston Globe. Retrieved December 27, 2019.
- Clay, Carolyn (Dec 13, 2019). "In The A.R.T.'s Musical 'Moby-Dick,' The Whale Is An Extraordinary Sum Of Diverse Parts". WBUR-FM ARTery. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- Caggiano, Christopher (Dec 20, 2019). "A Musical "Moby-Dick" Lumbers from its Seabed at the A.R.T." The Arts Fuse. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
This article "Moby-Dick (2019 musical)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Moby-Dick (2019 musical). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.