Murder of Mehwish Arshad
|Murder of Mehwish Arshad|
|Location||Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 665: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Date||Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 665: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Motive||refusal to marriage proposal|
Mehwish Arshad was a bus hostess[disambiguation needed] from Faisalabad, Punjab, Pakistan, who was murdered on 9 June 2018, at the age of 18-19. She was assaulted, harassed, and followed by Umer Daraz–a security guard from her previous work place for refusing his marriage proposal. The suspect was arrested by City Police of Faisalabad on June 10, 2018, who was charged with First degree murder and is under remand waiting for his trial.
Events preceding murder
Mehwish Arshad, worked as a bus hostess, on Kohistan Travels in Faisalabad, Punjab where the accused Umer Daraz first saw her. Arshad left Kohistan and started working at Al-Hilal travels. On the night of June 9, 2018, Arshad was traveling back to her hostel, after her shift finished when Daraz confronted her once again on the stairs, and shot her with pistol and ran away. Arshad was transferred to nearby heospital but succumbs to her injuries. According to Daraz they were in relationship for over a year when Mahwish refused to marry him.
First Information Report was registered the on June 10 and the accused was apprehended by police the same night and was charged with first degree murder. Daraz confessed the murder saying, "she refused my marriage proposal so I killed her...I can only say sorry to her family." Caretaker CM of Punjab Dr. Hassan Askari ensured the justice for Arshad.
The CCTV footage of Arshad's murder went viral on social media, with people condemning the act and people in came in support of Arshad, raising issues of bus hostesses working at different bus services of country.
- Burke, Dave (June 19, 2018). "Teen shot dead in street by security guard 'after refusing marriage proposal'". Daily Mirror. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Hussain, Kashif (June 18, 2018). "Bus hostess murdered in Faisalabad for rejecting marriage proposal, suspected killer remanded for four days". Dawn News. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "Bus hostess murdered in Faisalabad for turning down marriage proposal". The News International. June 15, 2018. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Gulzar, Falah (June 19, 2018). "Pakistani teen shot dead for refusing marriage proposal". GulfNews. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Police arrest suspect behind murder of bus hostess in Faisalabad - Crime - Dunya News". Dunya News. June 16, 2018. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Another video emerges of bus hostesses' harassment". Geo TV. June 19, 2018. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Accused confesses to sexually harassing, killing bus hostess in Faisalabad". ARY News. 2018-06-20. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- "Accused confesses to sexually harassing, killing bus hostess in Faisalabad". Incorporated Pakistan. 2018-06-20. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- "Punjab's caretaker CM orders inquiry into brazen murder of bus hostess | The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2018-06-19. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- Mehwish Arshad murder CCTV closed-circut video on Daily Pakistan
This article "Murder of Mehwish Arshad" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Murder of Mehwish Arshad. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.