- For the Canadian school see: Rothesay Netherwood School
Netherwood School was a small privately owned boarding school situated near the community of Saundersfoot, Wales.
The founding of the school
Netherwood School was founded in 1947 by Mrs. Jane Baxter-Harris, assisted by her daughter Marjorie, who later became the school's Matron. The successors in the role of leadership were Bob and Joy Cope, parents of international ballet star Jonathon Cope, who spent his early years at Netherwood. Bob Cope developed Netherwood from a Preparatory School into a Secondary School, adding much to the geography of the school and vastly increasing its population, as demand soared. His motto was 'Consideration for Others'.
The Copes were followed by Huw and Barbara Morris, who saw their mission as improving the academic status of the school. This was achieved in a comparatively short period of time, with results taking a very sharp turn for the better. Within four years of their arrival Netherwood featured as joint top school in England and Wales for GCSE results.
In 2007, however, Netherwood was identified as one of the lowest-performing independent schools in Wales.
A sixth form was added to Netherwood's structure in the academic year of 2001/2002. The school closed in July 2009.
The school building
The house, dating to about 1840, is listed.
- "Are independent schools failing to provide full value for money?". Wales Online. 5 February 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Netherwood". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Western Telegraph article". Archived from the original on 21 October 2014.
- "Crews called to school fire". Western Telegraph. 16 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
|This Welsh school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Netherwood School" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Netherwood School. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.