Paulo Freire Institute, Malta
|Purpose||Literacy and employability|
Paulo Freire Institute is an education organization in Zejtun, Malta. It was founded by the Society of Jesus in 2008 to supply literacy and employability training and other social services in the region. It has a laboratory for teaching methods in the Maltese area. It is housed at Dar il-Kenn.
Freire Institute offers non-formal educational programs in literacy (in Maltese and for basic English) for children, for employability, and for adults, and offers further empowerment courses for mothers including in cooking. Social workers and counselling are provided for individuals and families. The institute is also involved in entrepreneurship training, drivers' education, and in work with African refugees.
Fundraisers like a marathon have come to the aid of the Institute, which raised €30,000 to defray the cost of literacy training for 1,000 adults. The Institute has received gifts of computers for its basic computer literacy program and receives the support of over a dozen collaborating and funding organizations. It has been praised for its methods in literacy training and has published the literacy training book We read, We discuss and We write. It also developed computer software for adult literacy training, as reported by the Maltese government as a part of the European Social Charter.
The Institute participated in a "lifelong learning" project sponsored by the European Commission that involved five participants from as many countries. Freire's contribution was on the experience of African refugees living in Malta.
- Mayo, Peter (2013-09-13). Education in Small States: Global Imperatives, Regional Initiatives and Local Dilemmas. Routledge. p. 138. ISBN 9781317987987. Search this book on
- "Freire Institute". est.indire.it. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "MCAST :: Malta College of Arts Science and Technology". www.mcast.edu.mt. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- WOWCITY.com. "Paulo Freire Institute in Zejtun, MA, Malta | | Zejtun Local Shopping Guide". mt.wowcity.com. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "CoMin Europe – Culture of Minorities in Europe – Kolping Bildungswerk". www.kolping-bildungswerk.de. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- Ltd, Allied Newspapers. "College raises €7,000 for literacy project". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "Jesuits in Malta :: Eight new computers for our literacy and computer skills courses". Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "Jesuits in Malta :: Collaboration". Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "Vodafone Malta Foundation Supports publication - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "European Social Charter Project". rm.coe.int/1680488ee8. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
This article "Paulo Freire Institute, Malta" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Paulo Freire Institute, Malta. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.