Peter Gandy (author)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Peter Gandy is a British author who focuses on mysticism, particular the mystery religions. He holds an M.A. in classical civilization and is known mainly for his books, co-authored with Timothy Freke, which argue that Jesus is a purely mythical construct.
Publishers Weekly called The Jesus Mysteries, (1999) which Gandy co-authored, a "wonderful and terribly flawed book." In the book, Gandy and co-author, Timothy Freke, argue that Christian history is covering up its true origins. Library Journal called it "an important book in the debate on the historical Jesus."
Gandy co-authored another book with Timothy Freke, The Laughing Jesus, in 2005. The book also deals with what the authors perceive as an inaccurate history of religion. The book ends with a "Philosophical Workout" that Library Journal felt would appeal to those who see "themselves as spiritual rather than religious."
Books by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy
- The Complete Guide to World Mysticism (1998)
- The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs (1998)
- The Wisdom of the Pagan Philosophers (The Wisdom of the World) (1999)
- The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? (1999)
- Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians (2002)
- The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom (2005)
- The Gospel of the Second Coming (2007)
- 'Author Spotlight' from Random House
- Maurice Casey Jesus: Evidence and Argument or Mythicist Myths? T&T Clark 2014 FREKE, N.T. and GANDY, L.P. p.17
- "Religion Book Review: The Jesus Mysteries: Was the Original Jesus a Pagan God?". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2019-01-13.
- Bourquin, David (2000). "The Jesus Mysteries (Book review)". Library Journal. 125 (12): 100 – via EBSCOhost. (Subscription required (help)). Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Craft, Carolyn M. (2005). "The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom". Library Journal. 130 (11): 75–76 – via EBSCOhost. (Subscription required (help)). Cite uses deprecated parameter
|This article about a non-fiction writer from the United Kingdom or one of its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a notable person in connection with Christianity is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "Peter Gandy (author)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Peter Gandy (author). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.