This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|File:CZAPLOWSKI, Philip 2011.jpg|
|Born||April 30, 1958|
Life and work[edit | edit source]
Czapłowski was born in London, England in 1958, and emigrated to Australia in 1969. He lives in Melbourne, where he completed a PhD in music composition at Monash University in 2007. During 2005 he studied in Poland at the Academy of Music in Kraków, where he worked with Zbigniew Bujarski, Krystyna Moszumańska-Nazar, Wojciech Widłak, and Anna Zawadska-Gołosz. In 2012 Czapłowski composed the score for the Australian feature film The Caretaker, written and directed by Tom Conyers and produced by Mark White.
Performers of Czapłowski's music include the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, the New York Miniaturist Ensemble, Orquestra Antunes Câmara, Australia Pro Arte, the Canberra Wind Soloists, the Chamber Strings of Melbourne, Geelong Chamber Orchestra, the Australian Chamber Soloists, Australia Felix, the Monash Festival Orchestra, Kazimierz Dawidek, Harry Sparnaay, Prue Davis, Jeffrey Crellin, Carla Rees, and Maija Anttila.
An important turning point in Czapłowski's career came with the composition in 1998 of Threnody for string orchestra. The work is about the death of the composer's mother, and Czapłowski has stated that he suddenly felt as though he was finally expressing himself as a composer. The piece is about grief and loss
Czapłowski has composed four concertos. His Concerto for Oboe and strings was written for Australian oboist Jeffrey Crellin. The concerto for clarinet and strings was written for David Thomas and Australia Pro Arte, and premiered in September 2001 with Jeffrey Crellin conducting. In 2003 Czapłowski's Concerto for Violin and Strings was premiered by Mark Mogilevsky and Australia Pro Arte, conducted by Jeffrey Crellin. For its 2000 season the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra commissioned Czapłowski to write Momentum, a ten minute work for orchestra.
Czapłowski’s music has featured in a number of festivals including the Encuentros Festival Internacional (Brazil 1995), International Double Reed Society Conference (Arizona 1998), Federation Music Week (Melbourne 2000), Sonorities Festival of Contemporary Music (Belfast 2003), Szymanowski Festival 2003 (XXVI Dni Muzyki Karola Szymanowskiego, Poland), International Double-Reed Society Conference (Melbourne 2004), the Melbourne International Festival of Single Reeds (2005), the Cortona Contemporary Music Festival (Tuscany, Italy 2006), Karhofest (Karho Island, Finland 2017), and the 7th European Clarinet Festival (Porto, Portugal 2017).
In 2018 Czapłowski was invited to attend the International Festival of Kraków Composers (Kraków, Poland 2018), where his work emergence for flute, viola and harp was premiered by the Lorien Trio at MOCAK, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Kraków.
Orchestral works[edit | edit source]
- Concerto for violin and string orchestra (2003)
- Chloe (2003, string orchestra)
- Concerto for clarinet & strings (2001)
- Momentum (2000, orchestra)
- Threnody (1998, string orchestra)
- Concerto for Oboe & Strings (1997)
Chamber music[edit | edit source]
- everywhere I go, there I am (2018, 3 bass clarinets)
- Emergence (2018, flute, viola & harp)
- Red Moon (2006, shakuhachi & harpsichord)
- Innocence II (2006, violin & piano)
- Miniatura II (2006, flute & 2 violins)
- Miniatura I (2005, violin & viola)
- At the Grave of Dmitri Shostakovich (2004, violin & cello) 
- Wind Quintet (2004)
- Conversations (2003, 6 composers, 3 clarinettists & electronics)
- On the Move... (1999, trumpet, horn in F, & tenor trombone)
- Innocence (1998, violin & piano)
- Personae (1996, oboe, clarinet & bassoon)
- Trio (1994, oboe, flute & cello)
Solo works[edit | edit source]
- Totenlied (2003/revised 2017, solo clarinet)
- Living Desert (2017, solo bass clarinet)
- Buwarri (2010, solo flute)
- Elegia (2007, solo alto flute)
- Sonata (2006, solo flute)
- Lavender Mist (2006, solo flute)
- Ocean Greyness (2003, solo clarinet)
- The Blackbird's Song of Peace (2003, solo flute)
- Interpolation (2002, solo oboe)
- Elegies (1998, solo clarinet)
- Monologue (1997, solo oboe)
- Every Now and Then... (1987, solo bass clarinet)
References[edit | edit source]
- Livia Fong Yan. "Little guys in a big industry: Independent artists and the copyright/contract issue online" (PDF). Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- "Philip Czaplowski, composer". 7 February 2014.
- Czaplowski, Philip; Reiner, Thomas; Czaplowski, Philip. At the grave of Dmitri Shostakovich; Czaplowski, Philip. Chloe; Czaplowski, Philip. Interpolation; Czaplowski, Philip. Ocean greyness; Czaplowski, Philip. Resurrection; Czaplowski, Philip. Sonata; Czaplowski, Philip. Concertos; Czaplowski, Philip. You Yangs landscape; Czaplowski, Philip. Quintet; Music-Conservatorium, Monash University School of (23 April 2018). "The use of multiple styles as a compositional approach" – via Trove.
- "Philip Czaplowski : Represented Artist Profile : Australian Music Centre". www.australianmusiccentre.com.au.
- "The Caretaker". 5 November 2012 – via www.imdb.com.
- "The Caretaker". www.thecaretakerfilm.com.
- "Commissioned Works". symphonyinternational.net.
- "New York Miniaturist Ensemble". midnightsledding.com.
- "18th October, 2003". Radio National. 16 October 2003.
- "Carla Rees - Alto and Bass Flute : Repertoire". www.carlarees.co.uk.
- "Jong Talent - Maija Anttila, Ángela Escauriaza & Francisco Fernandez - Oosterkerk".
- Gilchrist, Inga. A Lament in Music. The Herald Sun Newspaper, 23 June 1998
- "Jeffrey Crellin : Australian Music Centre". www.australianmusiccentre.com.au.
- https://minerva-access.unimelb.edu.au/handle/11343/21819 Google Scholar
- Ltd, August Pty. "David Thomas - Australian National Academy of Music". ANAM.
- "Mogilevski premieres Czaplowski concerto - www.theage.com.au". www.theage.com.au.
- "IDRS98 Preliminary Schedule". www.public.asu.edu.
- "Sonorities Festival of Contemporary Music 2003". 7 September 2015.
- "30. Międzynarodowy Festiwal Kompozytorów Krakowskich". karnet.krakow.pl.
- 30. Międzynarodowy Festiwal Kompozytorów. Program book 2018
- "30th International Festival of Krakow Composers - MOCAK". en.mocak.pl.
- Preskun, Stephen. A Chronological History of Australian Composers And Their Compositions. Xlibris Publishers, Vol. 4 1999–2013, p 392- Vol. 4 1999–2013, p 392.
- https://minerva-access.unimelb.edu.au/handle/11343/22592 Google Scholar
- Wright, Simon. "Philip Czaplowski - Australian recordings". Move Records.
- "rarescale - Old First Concerts". www.oldfirstconcerts.org.
- "Iwona Glinka - recital fletowy - Opera Leśna Sopot". operalesna.sopot.pl.
[edit | edit source]
- Official website
- Philip Czaplowski at the Australian Music Centre
- Philip Czaplowski on IMDB
- Philip Czaplowski: PhD Thesis The use of multiple styles as a compositional approach, catalogue reference at the National Library of Australia
This article "Philip Czaplowski" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Philip Czaplowski. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.