Type of site
|Users||1.8 million unique users|
|Launched||September 14, 2017|
PlayersVoice is a digital platform that works with sportspeople to publish unique, first-person content for fans... It specialises in long-form written, video and podcast content across issues including race, religion, mental health, marriage equality and on-field sporting matters. It has attracted a regular on-platform audience of 1.8 million unique users.
PlayersVoice was co-founded by 11 of Australia's elite athletes: Nick Kyrgios, Cameron Smith, Erin Phillips, Israel Folau, Maty Ryan, Sally Fitzgibbons, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Jeff Horn, Luke Hodge and Sam Kerr.
Leading sporting personalities Paul Roos, George Gregan and Liz Ellis were appointed to the board. Kerry McCabe is the founding chief executive officer.
The website launched on September 14, 2017.
PlayersVoice content also appears on Fox Sports and Foxtel television and digital channels.
News broken by athletes on PlayersVoice has been credited by the BBC, The Guardian, ESPN, The New York Times, and many other international and Australian domestic news publications.
PlayersVoice has published first-person content from more than 200 athletes and coaches from Australia and abroad, providing insights into the lives of sportspeople. Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova wrote about her struggle to recover from a knife attack in her home. Angus Crichton revealed how he had his finger amputated to continue his rugby league career. Israel Folau spoke about how he and his father argued over his decision to quit AFL and move to rugby union. Ange Postecoglou used the platform to explain his shock resignation as Socceroos manager. Nick Kyrgios announced plans to launch his foundation. Luke Hodge revealed the reasons behind his move to the Brisbane Lions. Erin Phillips announced her retirement from basketball. Rory Kostjasyn disclosed how a near-death experience pushed him to quit rugby league. Pek Cowan shared his concern for the mental health of his Western Force teammates after the club's axing from Super Rugby . Steven Bradbury opened up about his accidental gold medal at the Winter Olympics.
Aside from breaking news, the website fosters discussions around important social issues in sport including racial discrimination, suicide, mental health and marriage equality. In some quarters, the platform has been described as an attempt by professional players to take back control of their image.
Rugby union star Israel Folau broke his silence on the website over a controversial social media post about homosexuality and offered to quit the sport.
Several high-profile Australian athletes shared candid experiences of their personal challenges with mental health in a campaign run by the platform for headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation established by the Australian government.
PlayersVoice has engaged in commercial partnerships with MKTG, the Commonwealth Bank, Virgin Airlines and Rebel Sport among other companies.
A brand study conducted by Kantar Millward Brown found 72% of respondents were more inclined to favour brands sponsoring content on PlayersVoice and 89% trusted the sports person-created content over traditional sports media sites.
The website has banned gambling advertising from its platform.
- "Straight from the athlete's mouth: Australia's sports media landscape could be set for a shake-up". The Conversation. October 3, 2017.
- "Sports site PlayersVoice promises to 'enrich the soul of Australia's great obsession'". Mumbrella. September 11, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "Nick Krygios and Matt Berriman tip in as PlayersVoice raises $4 million, strikes Fox Sports content deal". Australian Financial Review. March 19, 2018.
- "Star athletes to launch PlayersVoice media publishing platform". Australian Financial Review. September 10, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "PlayersVoice inks partnership deal with Fox Sports". Mumbrella. March 19, 2018.
- "Usman Khawaja on struggles with racial sledging in Australian grade cricket". BBC. October 9, 2017.
- "Nick Kyrgios: Don't put me in same box as 'lost' Bernard Tomic". The Guardian. September 15, 2017.
- "Mark Hunt wants to know why he can't fight". ESPN. October 26, 2017.
- "UFC Sydney: Mark Hunt vs Dana White, PlayersVoice new column sees heavyweight renew attack". News.com.au. October 24, 2017.
- "PlayersVoice proving to be athletes' choice". CEO Magazine. September 28, 2017.
- "Melbourne's Tom Bugg on the fallout from his punch on Swan Callum Mills". Herald Sun. September 19, 2017.
- "Nick Kyrgios dragged into Donald Trump protest storm". The Courier Mail. September 24, 2017.
- "The tragic precursor to Fiji captain Kevin Naiqama's tears at the Rugby League World Cup". The Daily Telegraph. November 20, 2017.
- "NRL 2017: Cowboys winger Kyle Feldt fears golden-point grand final finish". News.com,.au. September 30, 2017.
- "RLWC 2017: Lebanon's players finally get some luck ... and a $10,000 payday". Brisbane Times. November 20, 2017.
- "Jeff Horn needs to embrace challenge in Vegas, not pine for another home fight". The Age. December 16, 2017.
- "Re-sign Wallabies star Israel Folau early, urges Nick Phipps". The Sydney Morning Herald. January 11, 2018.
- "Aaron Mooy backtracks over post-match Socceroos comments". The Age. October 12, 2017.
- "Ange Postecoglou touched on legacy of cricketer Phillip Hughes in a bid to inspire the Socceroos". News.com.au. September 15, 2017.
- "Short joins group of Indigenous pioneers". Cricket.com.au. February 3, 2018.
- "Ben Laughlin gives the inside scoop on "the greatest outfield catch ever"". Nine.com.au. January 24, 2018.
- "Andrew Nabbout: How new Socceroo beat Victory rejection, mental illness to revive career". Fox Sports. March 14, 2018.
- "Cameron Smith backs a Perth-based NRL team". Sporting News. March 9, 2018.
- "Bernard Tomic needs help – and tennis must be the one to provide it". The Sydney Morning Herald. January 15, 2018.
- "Has Nick Kyrgios finally grown up?". The Sydney Morning Herald. January 22, 2018.
- "Kyrgios thanks his 'Magnificent Seven' on the eve of the Australian Open". Nine.com.au. January 15, 2018.
- "Recovering Kvitova feels the love from Australian Open fans". Vancouver Sun. January 16, 2018.
- "NRL star Crichton has finger amputated". ESPN. December 21, 2017.
- "Freddie fingers Crichton for Origin berth". Nine.com.au. January 14, 2018.
- "Israel Folau says he and his father argued over his decision to quit the AFL". Fox Sports. September 16, 2017.
- "A mile in my shoes". PlayersVoice. November 26, 2017.
- "I've found my purpose". PlayersVoice. October 8, 2017.
- "Alastair Clarkson offered Luke Hodge another year at Hawthorn before Brisbane trade". Herald Sun. October 19, 2017.
- "Former Hawks skipper Hodge traded to Lions". ESPN. October 19, 2017.
- "ERIN PHILLIPS OPENS UP WHILE ANNOUNCING HER RETIREMENT FROM BASKETBALL". 5AA. January 17, 2018.
- "Former NRL Cowboy's near-death experience". ESPN. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- "Western Force's Pek Cowan shares mental health fears". WA Today. September 22, 2017.
- "Steven Bradbury and the gold medal that came eight years late". Nine.com.au. February 5, 2018.
- "The things that were left unsaid". PlayersVoice. February 10, 2017.
- "My sister lives on inside me". PlayersVoice. October 29, 2017.
- "Death was an escape fantasy". PlayersVoice. August 31, 2017.
- "My family's fight for equality". PlayersVoice. September 22, 2017.
- "Answer to AFL players' concerns over image control lies with clubs". The Guardian. March 16, 2018.
- "Israel Folau breaks silence, says he would walk away from Australian rugby, criticises Raelene Castle". The Sydney Morning Herald. April 17, 2018.
- "Aussie athletes front headcoach campaign to promote mental health". Ad News. July 26, 2018.
- "Virgin, Yellow Brick Road & GoSwitch Flock To Sports Content Platform PlayersVoice". B&T. November 22, 2017.
- "Brands and fans warm to McCabe's 'high trust' platform". Ad News. February 15, 2018.
- "There's a new game in town". Brand Tales. February 19, 2018.
This article "PlayersVoice" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:PlayersVoice. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.