Ramnath K Chellappa PhD
|Ramnath K Chellappa PhD|
|🏳️ Citizenship||United States|
Ramnath K Chellappa PhD, is an Indian-born American professor who teaches at the Emory University Goizueta Business School. He is currently Associate Dean and Academic Director of the Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program. He is also the Goizueta Foundation Term Professor of Information Systems & Operations Management. Chellappa was the first to coin a formal definition of the term: Cloud Computing.
Research and work
Due to his expertise in information systems, pricing, and privacy, Chellappa is an oft cited source in the news media, and is regularly turned to as a litigation expert in technology related cases.
Chellappa joined the Goizueta Business School near its inception, with the goal of solving a growing problem between business and technology specialties. Separation of business, technology, and specifically data related roles create gaps in communications that required a new kind of function, to "translate" between them, as a business data scientist.
Sample of Scholarly Papers
- Cost drivers of versioning: Pricing and product line strategies for information goods (2018)
- Platform preannouncement strategies: The strategic role of information in two-sided markets competition (2017)
- Price formats as a source of price dispersion: A study of online and offline prices in the domestic US airline markets (2011)
- Consumers’ trust in electronic commerce transactions: the role of perceived privacy and perceived security (2008)
- An economic model of privacy: A property rights approach to regulatory choices for online personalization (2007)
- Personalization versus privacy: An empirical examination of the online consumer’s dilemma (2005)
- Examining the role of" free" product-augmenting online services in pricing and customer retention strategies (2005)
- Cloud computing---emerging paradigm for computing (1997)
Chellappa teaches a range of courses at the MBA and PhD level.
Education and early career
- Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, India -- Bachelors Mining and Engineering
- University of Texas at Austin, Cockrell School of Engineering -- coursework Masters Petroleum Engineering
- University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business -- PhD Management (Information, Risk, and Operations Management)
In 1997 Professor Chellappa was the first to present a scholarly definition of the term, Cloud Computing Professor Chellappa's definition: a new “computing paradigm where the boundaries of computing will be determined by economic rationale rather than technical limits alone.”
In his early career, Professor Chellappa was a Distinguished Academic Fellow and Visiting Professor at the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad. He then joined the faculty of Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California and was the founding director of the Electronic Economy Research Lab (eBizLab) at USC.
Chellappa has taught courses in economics, analytics, information systems, and operations management at graduate and post-graduate levels. Currently he teaches in the MBA, MS, and PhD programs at Emory University.
- Fee, Jess (26 August 2013). "The Beginner's Guide to the Cloud". Mashable. Mashable. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
Professor Ramnath Chellappa was the first to use the term "cloud computing" in 1997
- Stafford, Leon (6 February 2016). "Gigabit services taking root, prices dropping". AJC.com. Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
said Ramnath Chellappa, a specialist in information systems at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School.
- "Delta power outage exposes weaknesses". mercurynews.com. Mercury News. 8 August 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
"...and other physical infrastructure that need to be constantly upgraded and maintained," said Ramnath Chellappa
- emory.edu. Emory University https://goizueta.emory.edu/faculty/profiles/ramnath-k-chellappa. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
He frequently serves as a litigation expert (expert witness) on a number of technology related cases, and also consults for the entertainment industry, particularly on digitization of media.Missing or empty
- "Table of Experts" (PDF). prgx.com. Atlanta Business Chronicle. 1 June 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
...those three people can’t talk to each other. So, the program creates a business data scientist who is a translator and fits into all of those different areas.
- Chellappa, Ramnath. Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=TjfiAF4AAAAJ#. Retrieved 24 January 2020. Missing or empty
- "Prof. Ramnath K. Chellappa, PhD". nimbusprof.com. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- Cantu, Ana (20 December 2011). "The History and Future of Cloud Computing". forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
Flash forward to 1997, when the term “cloud computing” was first used by information systems professor Ramnath Chellappa.
- Biswas, Sourya (9 February 2011). "A History of Cloud Computing". cloudtweaks.com. Cloudtweaks. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
The first time the term was used in its current context was in a 1997 lecture by Ramnath Chellappa
This article "Ramnath K Chellappa" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Ramnath K Chellappa. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.