Randy Douthit is a successful television director and producer. He’s primarily worked on the West Coast, particularly in Los Angeles. He’s best known for his 25 years producing Judge Judy. Other well-known shows he helmed include Judge Joe Brown, Crossfire, and Larry King Live.
Douthit’s career started at television station KGW in Portland, Oregon, where he directed How Come, a childrens' show. He later ran local gabfest Seattle Today. During his early days, he says he was willing to do whatever needed to be done to get the show on the air. He also believes a person should build a career doing something they enjoy.
Douthit next worked for CNN when the network was just getting its start. He worked on feature stories in New York and talk shows in Washington, D.C., and Atlanta.
In 1982, Douthit started the show Crossfire and became its executive producer. It pitted political figures from the right against those from the left. The first hosts of the show were liberal journalist Tom Braden and conservative analyst Pat Buchanan. Douthit also produced a weekly news show called Capital Gang.
Douthit’s later career included producing such shows as Judge Joe Brown, Jenny Jones, and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Douthit was the executive producer of Judge Judy for 25 years beginning in 1996 and ending on July 23, 2021, when the CBS show’s final episode aired during the COVID pandemic. The show revolved around Judy Sheindlin, a real-life family court judge in Manhattan, whoearned a reputation as being tough but fair.
CBS produced Judge Judy, which ended in 2021 after 25 years on the air. Judy Justice, is now streaming on IMDb TV.
Judy Justice premiered on Nov. 1, 2021, and Douthit directed 120 episodes during a three-month period — at the height of the pandemic. Douthit says he believes in working fast but also getting the job done right at the same time. IMDb TV recently announced Season 2 of Judy Justice.
Randy Douthit was born in Newberg, Oregon, on Nov. 15, 1949.
- Judy Justice Producer Randy Douthit on Life Outside the Studio
- Randy Douthit Reflects on His Award-Winning Career
- Randy Douthit Discusses the Difficulties Of Producing In A Pandemic
- Judge Judy Producer, Randy Douthit Talks About Producing During A Pandemic
- Randy Douthit Shares Lessons Learned From Judge Judy
- Randy Douthit - Crunchbase Profile
- Judge Judy Producer - Ideamensch
- Inspirery Exclusive Interview
- Randy Douthit | Executive Producer @ New World Entertainment
- Prabook Profile
- Randy Douthit - CBS Miami Profile
- Judge Judy Just Scored a Massive Win in Court
- ‘Judy Justice’ Required a ‘New Energy’ From ‘Judge Judy.’ Here’s Why.
- IMDb TV Releases First-Look Trailer For ‘Judy Justice’ (TV News Roundup)
- ‘Judy Justice’ Renewed for Season 2 at IMDb TV as Debut Episodes Draw 25 Million Hours Viewed
- ‘Judy Justice’ Gavels Return Date On Amazon’s IMDb TV, Along With Free, 24-7 Streaming Channel
- ‘Judy Justice’: Judge Judy’s IMDb TV Series Gets Trailer Ahead Of November Premiere
- Read more on Randy's Medium Account
- Randy Douthit Gets Second Season with 'Judy Justice' at IMDb TV
- Randy Douthit Talks the Behind-The-Scenes Grind of Judy Justice
- Randy Douthit Talks the Tech Effect on TV Producing
- Former Crossfire Producer Randy Douthit Opens Up About the Show's Impact and Legacy
- Veteran Television Director Randy Douthit on Taking a Show From Concept to Air
- In Brief - Principal Post Questionnaire
- Randy Douthit and His Thoughts on the Evolution of TV News