Logo for Samurai Punk as of June 2018.
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded 📆||March 11, 2014|
|Headquarters 🏙️||The Arcade, |
Area served 🗺️
|Products 🎛️ 🧴|
Number of employees
Samurai Punk is an Australian independent video game developer and publisher founded on 11 March 2014 by Nicholas McDonnell and Winston Tang, shortly before releasing their first game Hazumino. The company has also created the games Screencheat, Feather, and The American Dream VR.
As university students, Nicholas McDonnell and Winston Tang unofficially formed Samurai Punk after Global Game Jam 2013 where they first worked together on a game called Samurai XX. The pair quickly established a quirky style and out-of-the-box design sense with their 2013 jam games including FROWNTOWN, Connections and Bear Attack. Riding on the momentum from their game jam experience, Samurai Punk began work on their first major project and officially established as a company for it’s release of Hazumino on iOS and Android in April 2014.
Samurai Punk's second game, Screencheat began as a prototype at the January 2014 Global Game Jam, Then developed and released as a fully-featured multiplayer experience on Steam/GOG/Humble Store release in October 2014.
Following the completion of the Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions of Screencheat, Samurai Punk developed Fruits of a Feather (later renamed to Feather), a small-form game where the player explores a vast island from the perspective of a bird. Feather was released on itch.io where the game has been well received by both press and users of the website.
In late 2016 Samurai Punk announced The American Dream a satirical Virtual reality (VR) game set in a 1950s world’s fair. Where players travel through a vast complex constructed by a group of respected gun manufacturers aiming to show the world the virtues of guns for the common man. The American Dream VR released on 14 March 2018 on Playstation 4, Oculus VR and HTC Vive to mixed reviews and political stances.
|2014||Screencheat||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, MacOS, Linux|
|2016||Feather||Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux|
|2018||The American Dream VR||Microsoft Windows, Oculus VR, HTC Vive, PlayStation 4,|
- "Samurai Punk - Press Kit". Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "The Arcade Melbourne". The Arcade. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Hazumino Review". 148apps.
- "The American Dream". Autodesk.
- "Samurai Punk Press Kit". SamuraiPunk.
- "I am a dirty screencheater and I regret nothing - IGN". IGN.
- "A shooter where you have to cheat to win - Kotaku Australia". Kotaku.
- "Feather (Prototype) by Samurai Punk". Itch.io.
- "Fruits Of A Feather: A Swoopy, Glide-y Collect-Em-Up - Rock Paper Shotgun". Rock Paper Shotgun.
- "The American Dream Review: A Mirror In The Face Of Gun Culture". UploadVR.
- "The American Dream, a satire about gun culture, misses the mark". Polygon.
- "Videogames Aren't Too Violent—America Is, Says Australian-Made Videogame". Paste.
- "The American Dream Is Guns Of Fun In This New Trailer". VRFocus.
This article "Samurai Punk" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Samurai Punk. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.