Sarawak Multimedia Authority
|Formed||14 March 2018|
|Headquarters||Level 4, Wisma Bapa Malaysia, Petra Jaya, 93502, Kuching, Sarawak.|
The Sarawak Multimedia Authority (Abbreviation: SMA) is a regulatory body established pursuant to Section 3 of Sarawak Multimedia Authority Ordinance 2017 with the primary objective to spearhead, oversee and facilitate the development and implementation of the communication, multimedia and the Sarawak's Digital Economy Initiatives.
During the first International ICT Infrastructure and Digital Economy Conference Sarawak (IDECS) which was held on the 3rd and 4th April 2017, the Right Honourable Chief Minister of Sarawak, Datuk Patinggi (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Bin Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg has announced significant initiatives and policy decisions to Transform the State of Sarawak into a Digital Economy Powerhouse. This includes the setup of the Sarawak Multimedia Authority (SMA), a regulatory body to regulate and facilitate the development and implementation of the State's communication, multimedia and digital economy initiatives.
Subsequently, after a series of engagement sessions with various government and non-government stakeholders, the organisation structure, framework and strategic actions for Sarawak Digital Economy were set.
On 8th November 2017, the Sarawak State Legislative Assembly has passed the Sarawak Multimedia Authority Ordinance 2017 that paved a way for the formation of the Authority officially on 14th March 2018.
Pursuant to Section 9 of Sarawak Multimedia Authority Ordinance, 2017, some of the functions of SMA are:
- To advise the State on matters relating to the policy for communications and multimedia activities;
- To implement and enforce the provisions of State laws relating to communications and multimedia;
- To supervise and monitor communications and multimedia activities in the State;
- To support, direct, stimulate and facilitate research and development in communication and multimedia;
- To encourage and promote the development of the communications and multimedia industry including in the area of research and training in the State;
- To develop for the Government, the framework for information technology and information resources management and process, and the utilization of such technology;
- To promote and facilitate research and improvement in electronic network systems and processes, application and technologies associated therewith;
- To undertake exchanges and joint programmes with other national and international organizations or institutions connected with information resources and systems, communication and mutimedia;
- To facilitate the application and usage of systems and technologies for e-commerce by companies and business communities in the conduct of their business and the promotion of their products in the State.
Members of the Authority
- YAB Datuk Patinggi (DR) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Bin Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg, Chairman
- YBhg. Dato Sri Ahmad Tarmizi Bin Haji Sulaiman, Member
- Yang Arif Datuk Talat Mahmood Abdul Rashid, Member
- YAB Tan Sri Datuk Amar Haji Mohamad Morshidi Bin Abdul Ghani, Member
- YB Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas, Member
- YBhg. Tan Sri Datuk Amar George Chan Hong Nam, Member
- YBhg. Datu Dr Sabariah Putit, Member
- Prof. Jugdutt (Jack) Singh, Member
- Mr. Jeffry Lo, Member
- Mr. Ehon Chan, Member
- Prof. Dr Kuldar Taveter, Member
- Dr Zaidi Razak, Secretary
- "Sarawak Multimedia Authority Ordinance 2017" (PDF). Sarawak Multimedia Authority. 8 November 2017. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Opening address IDECS 2017: Transforming Sarawak Through Digital Economy". Sarawak Voice. 3 April 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "Sarawak Digital Economy Strategy 2018 - 2022" (PDF). Sarawak Multimedia Authority. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Samuel, Aubrey (7 November 2018). "DUN passes Sarawak Multimedia Authority Bill". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
This article "Sarawak Multimedia Authority" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sarawak Multimedia Authority. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.