|Directed by||Tyler Gillett |
by Kevin Williamson
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|January 14, 2022|
Search Scream 5 on Amazon.
Scream 5 is an upcoming American slasher film directed by Tyler Gillett and Matt Bettinelli-Olpin from a screenplay by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick. The film starts David Arquette, Neve Campbell, and Courteney Cox. Like its predecessors, Scream 5 combines the violence of the slasher genre with elements of black comedy and "whodunit" mystery to satirize the clichés of film remakes. It is the direct sequel to 2011's Scream 4 and the fifth installment in the Scream film series which commenced in 1996.
The film also provides a commentary on the extensive usage of social media and the obsession of internet fame. The film was slated for production in May 2020 but was delayed to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The film is scheduled to be released on January 14, 2022, by Paramount Pictures.
- David Arquette as Dewey Riley
- Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott
- Courteney Cox as Gale Weathers
- Melissa Barrera
- Jenna Ortega
- Jack Quaid
Prior to the release of Scream 4, Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson both stated that its success would lead to a fifth and sixth film. Following the under-performance of the film at the box office, as well as the death of Craven in 2015, doubts were cast on the possibility of future films. In 2015, MTV began airing an anthology television series spin-off of the franchise, although none of the cast or crew from the films were involved. Although star Neve Campbell has expressed doubts over any more installments, David Arquette voiced his desire to have a fifth film to pay homage to Craven.
Actor David Arquette in 2010 also added his support to the potential future of the franchise, stating "It [the ending] definitely leaves it open," before adding that he would welcome the opportunity to play the character of Dewey in future installments. In May 2011, executive producer Harvey Weinstein confirmed that a sequel was possible, saying that despite Scream 4 performing below The Weinstein Company's financial expectations, he was still happy with the gross it had accrued. In February 2012, when asked about a potential Scream 5, Williamson stated at the time that he did not know, saying "I'm not doing it."
On September 30, 2013, Harvey Weinstein expressed his interest in a fifth installment, stating "I'm begging [Bob Weinstein] to do the movie and just end it. We've milked that cow." On June 25, 2015, the Washington Street Journal conducted an interview with Bob Weinstein. When asked about the possibility of a film continuation after Scream 4, Weinstein firmly denied the possibility of a fifth installment or any further continuation of the film franchise, citing the MTV series as the right place for the franchise to find new life. "It's like putting an art-house movie in an art-house theater," Weinstein said. "Where the teens reside is MTV."
However, in early 2019, it was reported that Blumhouse Productions, which specializes in horror-themed films, was interested in reviving the series, and that head of studio Jason Blum was working on making such Scream installments happen. In November 2019, Spyglass Media Group acquired the rights to make a new Scream film. It was unknown at the time if it would be a sequel, reboot, or remake. It was also unknown if Kevin Williamson will return. The next month, it was announced that the film would feature a new cast but could possibly feature appearances from the previous main cast members.
In March 2020, it was announced that Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett would direct the fifth installment, with Kevin Williamson serving as writer and executive producer, and that it had already entered official development, with filming hoping to begin in May 2020. In May 2020, it was announced that Neve Campbell was in talks to reprise her role as Sidney Prescott in the fifth film. That same month, it was announced David Arquette would be reprising his role of Dewey Riley for the fifth film and James Vanderbilt & Guy Busick were announced as additional writers. It was also confirmed that the film will begin production later in the year in Wilmington, North Carolina when safety protocols are in place due to COVID-19 pandemic. In June 2020, Variety reported that the film will be distributed by Paramount Pictures and is aiming for a 2021 release.
On July 31, 2020, Courteney Cox confirmed to Deadline Hollywood that she is returning to Scream 5 as dogged news reporter character Gale Weathers. In August 2020, Melissa Barrera and Jenna Ortega joined the cast of the film. In September 2020, Jack Quaid joined the cast of the film.
Filming will commence in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- "Scream 5 Updates: Will The Sequel Happen?". Screen Rant. May 30, 2019. Archived from the original on July 16, 2019. Retrieved July 15, 2019. Unknown parameter
- Douglas, Edward (October 27, 2010). "Exclusive: Will Scream 4 Relaunch the Franchise?". shock till you drop. Shocktillyoudrop.com. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012. Retrieved April 6, 2011. Unknown parameter
- "The 'Scream' Series Is Far From Over, Says Producer Harvey Weinstein". Moviesblog.mtv.com. MTV. May 17, 2011. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2011. Unknown parameter
- Smith, Nigel M. (September 30, 2013). "The 10 Best Things Harvey Weinstein Said at His Zurich Film Festival Masterclass". IndieWire.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2016. Unknown parameter
- Jurgensen, John (June 25, 2015). "Can 'Scream' Help MTV Win Back Missing Teens?". WSJ. Archived from the original on October 17, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2016. Unknown parameter
- "Blumhouse is Considering New Scream and Hellraiser Movies". February 18, 2019. Archived from the original on May 20, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Spyglass Resurrecting Ghostface in New 'Scream' Movie [Exclusive]". November 7, 2019. Archived from the original on February 27, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Ghostface to Return as Scream 5 is Officially in Development". November 7, 2019. Archived from the original on April 26, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Scream 5 coming!". November 7, 2019.
- "A 'Scream 5' movie is apparently in the works". November 7, 2019. Archived from the original on January 22, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "A New 'Scream' Movie is Currently in the Works". November 7, 2019. Archived from the original on May 21, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Scream Reboot Will Set up Future Movies with New Cast Members". November 26, 2019. Archived from the original on April 26, 2020. Retrieved May 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Gemmill, Allie (2020-03-12). "'Scream 5' Scores 'Ready or Not' Team Radio Silence to Direct (& Scare Us Silly)". Collider. Archived from the original on 2020-04-29. Retrieved 2020-03-15. Unknown parameter
- Davids, Brian (May 11, 2020). "Neve Campbell on 'Castle in the Ground' and Bittersweet 'Scream 5' Talks". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on May 16, 2020. Retrieved May 12, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Kroll, Justin; Kroll, Justin (2020-06-24). "New 'Scream' Movie From Spyglass Media Will Be Released by Paramount (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on 2020-06-24. Retrieved 2020-06-24. Unknown parameter
- D'Alessandro, Anthony; D'Alessandro, Anthony (2020-07-31). "'Scream': Courteney Cox Reprising Her Role As News Reporter Gale Weathers In Spyglass Media Group & Paramount Relaunch". Deadline. Archived from the original on 2020-07-31. Retrieved 2020-07-31. Unknown parameter
- Wiseman, Andreas (August 17, 2020). "'Scream': 'Vida' & 'In The Heights' Star Melissa Barrera Set For Key Role In Spyglass & Paramount Slasher Movie Relaunch". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 17, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 19, 2020). "'Scream': Jenna Ortega Joins Spyglass Media Group & Paramount Pictures' Horror Relaunch". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- Kroll, Justin (September 1, 2020). "'Scream': Jack Quaid To Star in Spyglass Media Group and Paramount's Horror Relaunch". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 1, 2020.
- "Scream 5 Gets A Release Date, And Snake Eyes Gets a Huge Delay". CINEMABLEND. 2020-08-29. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- Paramount Sets Release Dates for ‘Snake Eyes’, New ‘Scream’ and ‘Paranormal Activity’ Movies & More
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Scream 5|
This article "Scream 5" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Scream 5. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.