This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sebastiano Tusa (2 August 1952 - 10 March 2019) was an Italian archaeologist and politician who served as councilor for Cultural Heritage for the Sicilian Region from 11 April 2018 until his death on 10 March 2019. Tusa also served as professor of paleontology at the Suor Orsola Benincasa University of Naples.
Biography[edit | edit source]
As the son archaeologist Vincenzo Tusa, Sebastiano had a degree in literature with a specialization in Paletnology. Director of the Sicilian Region, in the nineties he was responsible for the archaeological section of the Regional Center for Design and Restoration. In 2003, during excavations conducted by him to Pantelleria, three Roman imperial portraits were found.
Abandoning field research, Tusa dealt with the administration of cultural heritage in the roles of the Sicilian Region, leading the superintendency of Trapani. In 2004 he was appointed as the first Superintendent of the Sea by the Department of Cultural Heritage of the Sicilian Region. He organized archaeological missions in Italy, Pakistan, Iran and Iraq. In 2005 he led the excavations at Motya, bringing to light, on the submerged road that leads to the island, as well as structures identifiable as quays. In 2008 Tusa and Folco Quilici made a documentary film on the prehistory of the Mediterranean at Pantelleria. The excavations he promoted, and conducted on the field by Fabrizio Nicoletti and Maurizio Cattani, also confirmed the role of Pantelleria as a "crossroads for merchants" in ancient times.
In January 2010 he was named Honorary Member of the National Archaeologists Association. In 2012 he returned to head the Superintendence of the Sea of the Region.
In March 2012 Tusa was a candidate for the city council of Palermo in the list of FLI but lost the election.
Death[edit | edit source]
Tusa was killed in the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 The plane was flying from Addis Ababa to Nairobi, where the commissioner was to take part in an international conference organized by UNESCO.
Academic work[edit | edit source]
From the 2000s he was a professor of Marine Archeology during a three-year degree in Marine Biology, based in Trapani, University of Palermo. He was also a professor of Paletnology at the Suor Orsola Benincasa University of Naples and a lecturer at the School of Arts and Humanities at the University of Bologna. In the academic year 2015-16 he was a contract professor at the Philipps University of Morburgo in Germany.
Published works[edit | edit source]
- La preistoria nel territorio di Trapani, Marsilio, 1990.
- Mozia, Publisicula, 1990.
- Sicilia preistorica, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 1994. ISBN 88-7758-227-8.
- La Sicilia nella preistoria, Sellerio, 1999, ISBN 88-389-1440-0.
- Archeologia e storia nei mari di Sicilia, Magnus, 2010. ISBN 978-88-7057-252-0.
- Selinunte, L'Erma di Bretschneider, 2011. ISBN 978-88-8265-592-1.
- Sicilia archeologica, Edizioni di Storia e Studi Sociali, 2015. ISBN 978-88-9916-815-6
- Primo Mediterraneo. Meditazioni sul mare più antico della storia, Edizioni di Storia e Studi Sociali, 2016
- I popoli del Grande Verde. Il Mediterraneo al tempo dei faraoni, Edizioni di Storia e Studi Sociali, 2018
References[edit | edit source]
- "Soprintendenza del Mare - Struttura" [Superintendency of the Sea - Structure]. www.regione.sicilia.it (in italiano). Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Repubblica.it » scienza_e_tecnologia » Pantelleria, il volto del passato fu la grande isola del commercio". www.repubblica.it (in italiano). Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "patrimonio sos: in difesa dei beni culturali e ambientali". www.patrimoniosos.it (in italiano). Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- (PDF) (in italiano) https://www.zetema.it/content/download/7522/43937/file/10.+Premio+Navicella+d'oro+26-09-08.pdf. Unknown parameter
|url-status=ignored (help); Missing or empty
- (in italiano) http://marsala.it/societa/item/58309-sebastiano-tusa-lascia-la-sovrintendenza-di-trapani.html. Unknown parameter
|url-status=ignored (help); Missing or empty
- "sebastiano tusa archeologo" [Sebastiano tusa archaeologist] (in italiano). Unknown parameter
- "Soprintendenza del Mare - Struttura". www.regione.sicilia.it (in italiano). Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Schianto Boeing Etiopia, assessore Tusa a bordo. Dal Kenya: "Nessun sopravvissuto"" [Crash Boeing Ethiopia, assessor Tusa on board. From Kenya: "No survivors"] (in italiano). La Sicilia. 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Aereo precipitato in Etiopia, ecco chi sono le otto vittime italiane" [Plane crashed in Ethiopia, here are the eight Italian victims] (in italiano). La Stampa. 10 March 2019.
- "UniboRubrica - Università di Bologna". www.unibo.it (in italiano). Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Geschichte und Kulturwissenschaften". Philipps-Universität Marburg (in Deutsch). Retrieved 2019-03-10.
[edit | edit source]
- "Sito ufficiale della Sovrintendenza del Mare della Regione Siciliana" [Official site of the Superintendency of the Sea of the Sicilian Region] (in italiano). Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Note personali in unipa.it" [Personal notes in unipa.it] (in italiano). Retrieved 10 March 2019.
Others articles of the Topics History AND Biography : George Right Smith, Benjamin E. Park
Others articles of the Topic History : Currency, World War I, 1 BC, Benjamin E. Park, Timeline of Twitch.tv, The family of Mahatma Gandhi, The Pawnee capture of the Cheyenne Sacred Arrows
Others articles of the Topic Biography : List of Czech artists by date, James Joachim Hurtak, Joseph Lewis, Jr. (Florida judge), Fon Huffman, Osadolor Nate Asemota, Francis Xavier Ransdell, Süreyyya Evren
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "". Category:Victims of aviation accidents or incidents
This article "Sebastiano Tusa" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sebastiano Tusa. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.