Selco Builders Warehouse
|Industry||Trade, Maintenance, Repair, Improvement|
|Founded||Birmingham – as Sewell & Co. Timber Ltd (1895)|
|Website||[Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 665: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value). ]|
Selco Builders Warehouse is a builders’ merchant for tradespeople only. Founded in 1985 as Sewell & Co. (Timber) Ltd., the company was later acquired by Grafton Group in 1998. Its main business is the sale of building supplies and materials to tradespeople in the UK.
The company began in 1895, when it was called Sewell & Co. (Timber) Ltd. In 1938, the company became a builders’ merchant, and in 1982, Sewell & Co. (Timber) Ltd. became Selco the Builders Warehouse.
Eight years later in 1990, Selco the Builders Warehouse was purchased by British Dredging Plc.. 1991 saw the company open its first branch outside of the Midlands in Swansea, South Wales. Come 1998, Selco the Builders Warehouse was acquired by the Grafton Group Plc., after which a third branch was opened in Birmingham. “Selco the Builders Warehouse” was soon shortened to Selco Builders Warehouse.
Following acquisition by Grafton, Selco continued to expand its branch network into new areas of the country including over 20 branches in London and the South East and other new areas like the North West, Yorkshire and the East Midlands, including Coventry in 2015.
Macmillan Cancer Support has been Selco Builders Warehouse’s nominated charity since 2014. During this time Selco employees have worked to raise money through a variety of different events and activities. Selco have also donated building materials to a number of charitable causes including a disability charity in Albrighton after their workshop was vandalised by burglars.
In 2017 and 2016 Selco Builders Warehouse were awarded the National Merchant of the Year award from the Builders Merchant News Awards.
Selco was the sponsor of Sky Sports Masters Football in 2010. This six-a-side indoor football tournament featured ex-professionals and was broadcast live on TV. Selco sponsored the London Broncos Rugby League team from 2012 – 2015. In 2015 it was announced that Selco would be the official shirt sponsor of the Birmingham Bears, a T20 cricket team who are part of Warwickshire County Cricket Club
- Whiteside, R. (2012-12-06). Medium Companies of Europe 1993/94: Volume 2 Medium Companies of the United Kingdom. Springer Science & Business Media. ISBN 9789401114387.
- "Selco success leads Grafton growth". www.theconstructionindex.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Bannister, Antonia (2015-08-02). "Fifty jobs created at new Coventry builders' merchants". coventrytelegraph. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "First branch of 2018 for Selco - Builders Merchants Journal". Builders Merchants Journal. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Selco opens 64th branch in Leicester - Builders Merchants Journal". Builders Merchants Journal. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Our partnership with Selco - Working with us - Macmillan Cancer Support". www.macmillan.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Selco hits half a million for Macmillan Cancer Support". Redditch Advertiser. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Farrington, Dayna. "Firm steps in to help vandalised workshop". www.expressandstar.com. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "The industry is honoured at the BMN Awards - Builders' Merchants News". www.buildersmerchantsnews.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Selco sponsors Masters Football - Builders Merchants Journal". Builders Merchants Journal. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Selco sponsors London Broncos Rugby team". www.theconstructionindex.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Rodger, James (2015-02-13). "Warwickshire announce new two-year shirt deal and partnership". coventrytelegraph. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
This article "Selco Builders Warehouse" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Selco Builders Warehouse. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.