This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section, please remove this template.
If you are the editor who added this template and you are actively editing, please be sure to replace this template with
|Born||July 22, 1974 (age 45)|
|🎓 Alma mater||Loyola University Chicago (BA)|
Stanford University (JD)
Attorney, activist, political candidate
|🏡 Home town||Rosebud, Missouri, U.S.|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|🏛️ Political party||Democratic|
Shahid Buttar is an English-born American civil liberties attorney, activist, and political candidate, currently running against incumbent Nancy Pelosi for the 12th congressional district in the 2020 U.S. House of Representatives elections in California. Buttar is a Democratic Socialist.
Early life and education
Born in London to Pakistani immigrants on July 22, 1974, Buttar and his family immigrated to the United States when he was a child. Buttar was raised in Rosebud, Missouri until he was 10 and later moved Chicago, Illinois. Buttar earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the Loyola University Chicago.
While at Stanford, Buttar served as Executive Editor of the Stanford Environmental Law Journal. Buttar also led a campaign to support sustainable architecture on campus and led a student protest against the Iraq War.
Career and activism
After law school, Buttar began working at Heller Ehrman LLP. His work at the firm included lawsuits promoting same-sex marriage and campaign finance reform. Buttar went on to work at the American Constitution Society for Law & Policy.
In 2015, Buttar joined the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2020)
The Intercept described Buttar as Nancy Pelosi's "first genuine left-wing challenge in 30 years."
During the 2020 coronavirus pandemic in the United States, Buttar moved his election campaign online.
- Buttar supports the Green New Deal, a transition to renewable energy, and forceful action to address the climate crisis.
- Buttar supports Medicare for All and a single-payer health care system.
- Buttar supports expanding access to health care for the homeless, aiding homeless veterans, and creating affordable housing grants.
- Buttar supports ending mass surveillance and intends to "sponsor legislation to require law enforcement and intelligence agencies (such as [the] NSA, FBI, and DEA) to secure a judicial warrant before searching or collecting information from or about Americans."
- Buttar supports intersectional feminism and reproductive rights.
- Buttar supports reducing military spending and anti-corruption efforts.
- Buttar supports raising the minimum wage, labor unions, and prohibiting right-to-work laws.
- Buttar supports ending the militarization of the Mexico–United States border and supports protecting Dreamers.
- Buttar supports campaign finance reform and making Election Day a national holiday.
- Buttar supports an “Internet Bill of Rights,” whistleblower protection, privacy laws, and ending mass surveillance under the Patriot Act and Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
- Buttar supports ending the war on drugs and has developed a platform for criminal justice reform and advancing civil rights.
- Buttar supports a variety of disability rights legislation.
|California's 12th congressional district, 2020 |
|Democratic||Nancy Pelosi (incumbent)||190,590||74.0|
|Democratic||Tom Gallagher (withdrawn)||5,094||2.0|
|Democratic||Nancy Pelosi (incumbent)|
|California's 12th congressional district, 2018|
|Democratic||Nancy Pelosi (incumbent)||141,365||68.5|
|Democratic||Ryan A. Khojasteh||9,498||4.6|
|No party preference||Michael Goldstein||2,820||1.4|
|Democratic||Nancy Pelosi (incumbent)||275,292||86.8|
|Shahid Buttar Endorsements in the 2020 United States House of Representatives elections in California|
|Shahid Buttar Endorsements in the 2018 United States House of Representatives elections in California|
- Garofoli, Joe (April 9, 2019). "Nancy Pelosi's 2020 opponent thinks she's soft on Trump". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Gahr, Evan (December 17, 2019). "San Francisco Civil Liberties Lawyer Shahid Buttar Running Against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi". California Globe. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Fang, Lee (March 4, 2020). "Nancy Pelosi to Receive First Genuine Left-Wing Challenge in 30 Years". The Intercept. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Garofoli, Joe (April 2, 2020). "Coronavirus forces Nancy Pelosi's SF election foe to take a different path". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Manchester, Julia (2019-12-06). "Pelosi gets longshot progressive primary challenger". TheHill. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Shahid Buttar". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-19.
- "Our Campaigns - Candidate - Shahid Buttar". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved 2020-04-19.
- "Why Shahid Buttar has a real shot at primarying Nancy Pelosi from the left". Salon. 2020-03-02. Retrieved 2020-04-19.
- "Shahid's History". Shahid Buttar. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Meet Shahid Buttar: Helping EFF Fight for Digital Rights in Your Hometown". 2 October 2015.
- "Board of Directors". Defending Rights & Dissent. Retrieved 2020-04-20.
- Schatz, Bryan. "The impractical, unsophisticated, very necessary long-shot campaign to unseat Nancy Pelosi". Mother Jones. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- "Meet Shahid Buttar, the man who would unseat Nancy Pelosi". Mission Local. 2019-04-04. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- "Shahid's Values". Shahid Buttar. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "U.S. House of Representatives District 12 - Districtwide Results". California Secretary of State. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- "2018 California primary election results" (PDF). Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- "2018 California general election results" (PDF). Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- Gahr, Evan (2019-12-17). "San Francisco Civil Liberties Lawyer Shahid Buttar Running Against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi". California Globe. Retrieved 2020-04-16" /> Evan GahrEvan Gahr was the Washington Gadfly columnist for the Daily. Check date values in:
- Uhlmann, Natascha Elena (2019-07-23). "Challenging Pelosi From the Left". Jewish Currents. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- Klion, David (2019-12-03). "What Happened to Peter Daou?". The New Republic. ISSN 0028-6583. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- "'Not Looking to Keep Pelosi': Why Susan Sarandon Is Endorsing Berniecrat Shahid Buttar for Congress". Common Dreams. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- "Online Extra: Political Notes: Progressive lawyer aims to take on Pelosi in November". The Bay Area Reporter / B.A.R. Inc. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- People Bernie (September 23, 2019). "Breaking: We have no confidence that Nancy Pelosi will impeach this president. @shahidforchange is the future we want. He fights for restorative justice. He sees the world as it should be, which makes him a powerful ally and a pleasure to endorse".
- Borland, Kyle (27 February 2020). "Shahid Buttar Must Defeat Nancy Pelosi". Current Affairs. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- Redmond, Tim (2018-05-02). "San Francisco Bay Guardian | Endorsements: Kim and Leno for mayor. Mandelman for supervisor. Eastin for governor. Yes on F, No on H". San Francisco Bay Guardian. Retrieved 2020-04-16.
- 'Radicalizing an Electorate:' Pelosi Challenger Draws on America's Emboldened Left
- An 'intersectional feminist' challenges Nancy Pelosi
- Pelosi gets longshot progressive primary challenger
- The impractical, unsophisticated, very necessary long-shot campaign to unseat Nancy Pelosi
- Shahid Buttar’s Campaign to Unseat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Nancy Pelosi challenger Shahid Buttar says his win is ‘inevitable’
- Why Shahid Buttar has a real shot at primarying Nancy Pelosi from the left
- Meet Shahid Buttar, Nancy Pelosi's challenger from the left
- 'Not Looking to Keep Pelosi': Why Susan Sarandon Is Endorsing Berniecrat Shahid Buttar for Congress
- From the turntable to Congress: A Muslim activist's fight to unseat Nancy Pelosi
- Democratic socialist set to challenge Pelosi after placing 2nd in primary
- Shahid Buttar Must Defeat Nancy Pelosi ❧ Current Affairs
|This California-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Shahid Buttar" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Shahid Buttar. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.