|File:Sierra Sandison.jpg |
|Born||December 1, 1993|
Twin Falls, Idaho, U.S.
|🏫 Education||Boise State University|
|Title||Miss Idaho 2014|
Search Sierra Sandison on Amazon.Sierra Sandison (born December 1st, 1993) is an American beauty pageant titleholder from Twin Falls, Idaho, who was crowned Miss Idaho 2014. In 2014, she also competed for the Miss America. Her most recent pageant entry was for Miss Idaho USA 2020. She is currently studying at Boise State University.
Once diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 18, she committed herself to activism for Diabetes Awareness. During the 2014 Miss Idaho competition, she wore her insulin pump, setting off waves of awareness for those who wear medical devices... This representation sparked the hashtag, #ShowMeYourPump, which received national attention.
She has also authored and published a book about her experience with Diabetes, titled "Sugar Linings: Finding the Bright Side of Type 1 Diabetes."
Early life and education
Sandison is a resident of Twin Falls, Idaho. For most of her early schooling, she was homeschooled, then attending Xavier Charter School, finally graduating from Lighthouse Christian High School.
Sandison is currently studying Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Biomedical Engineering at Boise State University, in Boise, Idaho. She is expected to finish undergraduate studies in the spring of 2021. She is an advocate for and supporter of women in STEM. She was recognized as the number one student in her class by the Idaho Society of Professional Engineers. She is also a member of the engineering sorority, Phi Sigma Rho.
During her time at Boise State, she founded VIP-Con, which is an undergraduate research fair.
Sandison began performing publicly in 2012, with her first pageant being the Miss Magic Valley pageant in 2012, where she placed as the second runner up. She was first inspired to compete after seeing Nicole Johnson (Miss America 1999), as she also has Type 1 Diabetes .
Her first win was won at her second pageant, Miss Pocatello 2013. She ran on her go-to platform, Diabetes awareness. She also competed in Miss Idaho 2013, but did not make the top 11. She went onto win Miss Magic Valley 2013, with her Miss Idaho 2014 win following suit. She placed in the Top 15 at Miss America 2015, winning the People's Choice Award
Miss Idaho 2014
Sandison's first major win was Miss Idaho 2014. Her platform was based off of her passion for diabetes activism, making the choice to wear her insulin pump during the competition. This then sparked her viral moment, creating the #ShowMeYourPump campaign
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss Idaho
Sandison's activism primarily focuses on Type 1 Diabetes awareness. Her advocacy spans from a visit to the Dr. Oz show, where she showed off her insulin pump, to being in the Bike Beyond documentary, which documented her and other Type 1 Diabetes patients biked cross-country to raise money for the cause.
- "Miss Bikini International 2011, Beijing - Swimsuit Competition _ FashionTV - FTV_0". 2011-11-05. doi:10.4016/36127.01.
- NBC. "Miss Idaho Wears Insulin Pump During Bikini Competition". NBC. Unknown parameter
- News, A. B. C. "Video: Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison's Insulin Pump Sparks New Hashtag". ABC News. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- Sandison, Sierra (15 June 2015). Sugar Linings: Finding the Bright Side of Type 1 Diabetes. ISBN 978-1514369722. Search this book on
- "STEM". Unknown parameter
- Emily. "Miss Magic Valley/Miss Canyon Rim 2012". Retrieved 2020-09-13.
- "Miss Idaho wears insulin pump on bikini, inspires diabetes patients". TODAY.com. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- ""I Let Diabetes Control My Life," says Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999". Diabetes Daily. 2016-05-22. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- Journal, David Ashby For the. "Woman overcomes challenge to win Miss Gate City/Miss Pocatello title". Idaho State Journal. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- email@example.com, Tetona Dunlap. "Miss Magic Valley Scholarship Program Sees Growth". Twin Falls Times-News. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- Mercer, Amy. "Sierra Sandison, Miss Idaho 2014, Talks Diabetes". Diabetes Self-Management. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- Weigle, Lauren (2014-09-15). "Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison Wins America's Choice – Miss America 2015". Heavy.com. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- "Interview: Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison #ShowMeYourPump". Juicebox Podcast and Arden's Day. Retrieved 2020-09-21.
- "Dr Oz: Miss America 2014 Contestant Sierra Sandison + Insulin Pump". Recapo. 2014-09-11. Retrieved 2020-09-14.
- Bike Beyond (2017) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-09-14
This article "Sierra Sandison" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sierra Sandison. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.