He graduated from the University of Colorado with a Bachelor's Degree, and then received a graduate degree at the University of Texas, studying under Kent Kennan before receiving a PhD in music theory from the University of Wisconsin.
He was a member of the faculty of the Eastman School of Music from 1969 to 1973, and since that time has been on the faculty at the University Texas at Austin. Kostka initiated courses in computer applications in music at both the Eastman School and the University of Texas. Later, he specialized in courses in atonal theory and contemporary styles and techniques. He remains active in various professional and academic organizations.
His 1984 textbook, Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music, became a best-seller and widely-used in classrooms across the world. He followed with Materials and Techniques of Twentieth Century Music, and Anthology of Music for Analysis.
Bibliography (books and selected articles)
- 1971: The Hindemith String Quartets: A Computer-Assisted Study of Selected Aspects of Style, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1969
- 1971: "Recent developments in computer-assisted musical scholarship", Computers and the Humanities, vol. 6, issue 1, pp. 15–21
- 1974: A Bibliography of Computer Applications in Music, J. Boonin, 1970 ISBN 9780913574072 Search this book on .
- 1984: Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music
- 1989: Materials and Techniques of Twentieth Century Music, Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006 ISBN 9780131930803 Search this book on .
- 1991: "Changing philosophies of undergraduate music theory instruction: Practical implications and recommendations", The Quarterly Journal of Music Teaching and Learning, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 30–37. (with Russell Riepe) (via Rider University)
- 2001: Materials and Techniques of Post-Tonal Music
- 2003: Anthology of Music for Analysis
- "Kostka, Stefan M." id.loc.gov. Retrieved November 20, 2021.
- "Stefan Kostka". University of Texas, Butler School of Music.
- Kostka, Stefan; Payne, Dorothy; Almén, Byron (February 13, 2017). Tonal Harmony. McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 9781259447099. Search this book on
- Kostka, Stefan M. (September 24, 2006). Materials and Techniques of Twentieth-century Music. Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780131930803. Search this book on
- Kostka, Stefan M.; Graybill, Roger Carper (September 24, 2004). Anthology of Music for Analysis. Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780130915443. Search this book on
- McNamee, Ann Kosakowski (Fall 1986). "Review of Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music By S. Kostka And D. Payne". Journal of Music Theory. 30 (2): 309–314.
- Kostka, Stefan (January 8, 2016). Materials and Techniques of Post Tonal Music. Routledge. ISBN 9781317346555. Search this book on
Others articles of the Topics Biography AND Classical music : Alexander Hunter, Anatoly Antonovich Shevchenko, Axel Bauni, Sally Greenaway, Carlos Ágreda, Martin James Bartlett, Callum Watson (Musician)
Others articles of the Topic Biography : Reds Bagnell, Ayaz Mughal, Vardhan Puri, Joël Favreau, Kathleen Elle, Callum Watson (Musician), Floyd Smith (Louisiana politician)
Others articles of the Topic Classical music : Reinhold Johannes Buhl, Callum Watson (Musician), Georgia Spiropoulos, August Reuß, Alexander Hunter, Anatoly Antonovich Shevchenko, Michał Spisak
This article "Stefan Kostka" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Stefan Kostka. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.