Did you know a wiki could be used internally in your company ? For better knowledge management and internal communication. Less email and office files. 30 days free trial. (Ad)
|Subal C. Kumbhakar|
|Edit this InfoBox|
Subal C. Kumbhakar is an Indian born American economist. He is a Distinguished Research Professor of Economics at the SUNY Binghamton. He was awarded Doctor Honoris Causa, 1997, Gothenburg University, Sweden. He is a fellow of Journal of Econometrics, distinguished author of Journal of Applied Econometrics, co-editor of the Social Science Citation Index journal Empirical Economics, coauthor of a highly cited book on Stochastic Frontier Analysis. He has Professor II positions at the University of Stavanger, Norway and Inland School of Business and Social Sciences, Lillehammer, Norway. He is a senior consultant at Oxera Consulting LLP Oxford, UK. He advises Oxera on regulatory performance measures. He is internationally known for his research on efficiency and productivity. His models on efficiency and productivity are used by researchers worldwide.
Subal received his Ph.D. in economics from the University of Southern California in 1986. His main area of research is on econometric estimation of efficiency and productivity using Stochastic Frontier Approach. He has formulated a variety of panel data models to measure efficiency, which are applied by researchers and practitioners all over the world. His recent works include estimating green productivity and environmental efficiency. He also researched on: corruption and economic growth, foreign direct investment, adverse selection and moral hazards, risk and risk preference in agriculture and aquaculture. His current research includes productivity measurement using semiparametric smooth coefficient panel data models.
Subal is currently a co-editor of Empirical Economics. He has also been serving as a Board of Editors and/or associate editors of Journal of Productivity Analysis since 1998, Technological Forecasting and Social Change: An International Journal since 1991, Journal of Regulatory Economics since 2015, Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies since 2007, Applied Econometrics since 2016, Ecos de Economia: A Latin American Journal of Applied Economics since 2016.
Subal is a co-author of the books Stochastic Frontier Analysis (2000) with Knox Lovell, and A Practitioner's Guide to Stochastic Frontier Analysis (2015) with H-J Wang and A Horncastle, both published by the Cambridge University Press.
- 1986 Ph.D., Economics, University of Southern California
- 1983 Masters of Arts, Economics, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- 1977 Masters of Arts, Economics, Calcutta University, Calcutta, India
- 2005 - present, Distinguished Research Professor of Economics, Binghamton University, State University of New York
- 2001 - 2005, Professor, Economics Department, Binghamton University (State University of New York)
- 1986 - 2000, Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, Economics Department, University of Texas at Austin
- 1977 - 1981, Assistant Professor and Reader, Economics Department, University of Burdwan, Burdwan, India.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Gothenburg University, Sweden, 1997.
- Fellow, Journal of Econometrics, 1998.
- Distinguished author, Journal of applied econometrics, 2017.
- Member/Opponent of Ph.D. Evaluation Committee (International): Athens University of Economics and Business (Greece), University of Western Australia (Perth), Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (Umea, Sweden), Norwegian University of Life Sciences (As, Norway), Charles University (Czech Republic), Technical University of Dresden (Germany), University of Helsinki (Finland), University of Stavanger (Norway), Wageningen University (Netherlands), University of New England (Australia), Gothenburg University (Sweden), Norwegian School of Business Administration (Bergen, Norway), Agricultural University of Norway (As, Norway), Indian Statistical Institute (Calcutta, India), Burdwan University (West Bengal, India), Jawaharlal Nehru University (New Delhi, India).
Selected Published works
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Lovell, C.A. (2000). Stochastic Frontier Analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781139174411. Search this book on Paperback version, 2003; Fudan Translation Series (Chinese translation ), 2008.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Parmeter, Christopher (2014). Efficiency Analysis: A Primer on Recent Advances. NOW Publishing Company monograph. ISBN 978-1601988966. Search this book on
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Wang, Hung-Jen; Horncastle, Alan (2015). A Practitioner's Guide to Stochastic Frontier Analysis Using Stata. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/CBO9781139342070. ISBN 9781139342070. Search this book on
- Kumbhakar, Subal (2015). Ray, Subhash, ed. Benchmarking for Performance Evaluation: A Production Frontier Approach. Springer. ISBN 978-81-322-2253-8. Search this book on
Journal special issue editor
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Ray, Subhash (2010). "Performance Measurement: Methodological and Empirical Issues". Indian Economic Review. 45 (2): 1-5.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Sickles, Robin (2012). "Auction and Games". Journal of Econometrics. 168 (1): 1–174.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Førsund, Finn (2015). "In Memoriam: Lennart Hjalmarsson, 1944–2012". Journal of Productivity Analysis. 43 (3): 233–415.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Parmeter, Christopher (2015). "Applications of Nonparametric and Semiparametric Models". Empirical Economics. 48 (1): 1-8.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Schmidt, Peter (2016). "Endogeneity in Econometric Models". Empirical Economics. 190 (2): 209–374.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Malikov, Emir (2018). "Good Modelling of Bad Outputs". Empirical Economics. 54 (1): 1–6.
Selected Journal Publications
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Jin, Man; Zhao, Shunan (2019). "Information Asymmetry and Leverage Adjustments: A Semiparametric Varying Coefficient Approach". Journal of Royal Statistical Society (Series A). 183 (2): 581-605.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Lai, Hung-pin (2019). "Technical and Allocative Efficiency in a Panel Stochastic Production Frontier System Model". European Journal of Operational Research. 278 (1): 255-265.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Delgado, Michael; Ozabaci, Deniz; Sun, Yiguo (2020). "Smooth Coefficient Models with Endogenous Environmental Variables". Econometric Reviews. 39 (2): 158-180.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Yao, Feng; Zhang, Fan (2019). "Semiparametric smooth coefficient stochastic frontier model with panel data". Journal of Business & Economics Statistics. 37 (3): 556-572.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Malikov, Emir; Restrepo-Tobón, Diego (2018). "Heterogeneous Credit Union Production Technologies with Endogenous Switching and Correlated Effects". Econometric Reviews. 37 (10): 1095-1119.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Henderson, Daniel; Li, Qi; Parmeter, Christopher (2015). "Smooth coefficient estimation of a seemingly unrelated regression". Journal of Econometrics. 189 (1): 148-162.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Tsionas, Efthymios (2016). "The Good, The Bad and The Technology: Endogeneity in Environmental Production Models". Journal of Econometrics. 190 (2): 315-327.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Sun, Kai; Restrepo-Tobón, Diego (2015). "Obelix vs. Asterix: Size of U.S. Commercial Banks and Its Regulatory Challenge". Journal of Regulatory Economics. 48: 125-168.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; McCloud, Nadine (2012). "Institutions, foreign direct investment and growth: A hierarchical Bayesian approach". Journal of Royal Statistical Society (Series A). 175 (1): 83-105.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Bokusheva, Raushan (2009). "Modeling Farm's Production Decisions under Expenditure Constraints". European Review of Agricultural Economics. 36 (3): 343-367.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Wang, Hung-Jen (2006). "Pitfalls in the Estimation of Cost Function Ignoring Allocative Inefficiency: A Monte Carlo Analysis". Journal of Econometrics. 134 (2): 317-340.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Sarkar, Subrata (2003). "Deregulation, Ownership and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry: Evidence from India". Journal of Money, Credit and Banking. 35 (3): 403-424.
- Kumbhakar, Subal (2001). "Estimation of Profit Function when Profit is not Maximum". American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 83 (1): 1-19.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Hjalmarsson, Lennart (1998). "Relative Performance of Public and Private Ownership under Yardstick Competition: Electricity Retail Distribution". European Economic Review. 42 (1): 97-122.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Heshmati, Almas (1996). "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth in Swedish Manufacturing Industries". Econometrics Review. 15 (3): 275-298.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Wheelock, David (1995). "Which Banks Chose Deposit Insurance? Evidence of Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard in a Voluntary Insurance System". Journal of Money, Credit and Banking. 27 (1): 186-201.
- Kumbhakar, Subal (1992). "Allocative Distortions, Technical Progress, and Input Demand in U.S. Airlines: 1970-1984". International Economic Review. 33 (3): 723-737.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Bhattacharyya, Arunava (1992). "Price Distortions and Resource-Use Efficiency in Indian Agriculture: A Restricted Profit Function Approach". Review of Economics and Statistics. 74 (2): 231-239.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Ghosh, Soumendra; McGuckin, Thomas (1991). "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S Dairy Farms". Journal of Business and Economic Statistics. 9 (3): 279-286.
- Kumbhakar, Subal (1987). "The Specification of Technical and Allocative Inefficiency in Stochastic Production and Profit Frontiers". Journal of Econometrics. 34 (3): 335-348.
This article "Subal Kumbhakar" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Subal Kumbhakar. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- "Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty - Economics, Binghamton University". February 4, 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Hedersdoktorer vid Göteborgs universitet under 100 år, 1907 - 2007" (PDF). Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "Announcement: Fellows of the journal of econometrics". January 1, 1970. Retrieved February 18, 2020.
- "Journal of Applied Econometrics". 1999–2019. Retrieved February 18, 2020.CS1 maint: Date format (link)
- "Empirical Economics". Empirical Economics, Editors. Springer. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- Kumbhakar, Subal; Lovell, C.A. (2000). A Practitioner's Guide to Stochastic Frontier Analysis Using Stata. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781139174411. Retrieved 19 February 2020. Search this book on
- "Kumbhakar, Subal Chandra, UiS". universitetet i stavanger. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Subal C. Kumbhakar, INN University". Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences Search. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Oxera Consulting LLP". Oxera Compelling Economics. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Professor Subal C. Kumbhakar, Oxera Consulting LLP". Oxera Compelling Economics. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Journal of Productivity Analysis, Editors". 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Technological Forecasting and Social Change Editorial Board". 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Journal of Regulatory Economics, Editors". 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies". Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Editorial board. Taylor & Francis Group. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "Journal "Applied Econometrics"". APPLIED ECONOMETRICS. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "Editorial Team, Ecos de Economía: A Latin American Journal of Applied Economics". 2018. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Distinguished Faculty - Office of the Provost, Binghamton University". January 21, 2020. Retrieved February 15, 2020.