Sunset Boulevard (upcoming film)
|Directed by||Rob Ashford|
|Produced by||Andrew Lloyd Webber|
|Screenplay by||Tom MacRae|
|Music by||Andrew Lloyd Webber|
Really Useful Group
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Sunset Boulevard is a musical drama film in development, based on the 1950 film of the same name by Billy Wilder and the 1993 musical of the same name by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Norma Desmond, a faded and deluded silent-screen star ensnares Joe Gillis, a down-on-his-luck screenwriter into her fantasy of making a comeback.
- Glenn Close as Norma Desmond
- TBA as Joe Gillis
Paramount Pictures and the Relevant Picture Company announced in 2005 that they were developing a film adaptation of the musical. In an interview in 2008, Andrew Lloyd Webber said that there are no plans for a film adaptation to be made in the near future, but he remains hopeful one will be made at some point. In December 2011, Andrew Lloyd Webber told the Daily Mail that he was considering filming a stage production of the show for cinema and DVD release featuring Glenn Close as Norma Desmond, but noted that the inherent costs in forming the production might hinder the project's viability. In an interview with Paige during her BBC Radio 2 show Elaine Paige on Sunday on 6 October 2013, Lloyd Webber was asked "What's happening to the film?", and he replied: I would love a film to be made of Sunset, of course, but unfortunately the rights are owned by Paramount who own the original movie and, so far, talks with them have never led to anything. And it's sad for me because I think in many ways Sunset is, I think, the most complete musical I have written, I mean in the sense that the book and the music and everything come together I think in a way that perhaps even some of the others, they don't. Anyway that's my sadness at the moment and maybe, one day, the whole thing will get brokered. I'm doing something else with Paramount because after I've done this I'm producing School of Rock on stage, and that's a Paramount picture, so maybe if they like what I do with that they'll let me do Sunset. In February 2019, it was announced that Rob Ashford had signed on to direct the film and Tom MacRae is writing the script.
On August 5, 2007, The Daily Telegraph reported that actresses being considered for the role of Norma Desmond included Glenn Close, Elaine Paige, Meryl Streep, Liza Minnelli and Barbra Streisand. In April 2011, Lloyd Webber indicated he would like Madonna to star in the film, though she wasn't taking his calls. On 17 August 2017, Close was in early talks to play Norma Desmond in the movie, and in February 2019, Close was set to star in the film.
- Hastings, Chris (10 July 2005). "Close and McGregor to star in Sunset Boulevard film". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- Espiner, Mark (17 December 2008). "What to say about ... Sunset Boulevard". The Guardian. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- Bamigboye, Baz (9 December 2011). "BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Borat says 'I like' to joining Les Miserables". Daily Mail. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- "Andrew Lloyd Webber Talks with Elain Paige audio; at 8:30–9:21". BBC Radio 2. 6 October 2013. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (28 February 2019). "Glenn Close's 'Sunset Boulevard' Movie Musical Finds Its Director". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- Chris Hastings; Beth Jones (5 August 2007). "Meryl Streep competes for Sunset Boulevard". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- "Madonna Wanted". The Village Voice. 10 April 2011. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- Donnelly, Matt (17 August 2017). "Glenn Close to Star in 'Sunset Boulevard' Movie Musical at Paramount (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
This article "Sunset Boulevard (upcoming film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sunset Boulevard (upcoming film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.