Tears (Rush song)
|Song by Rush|
|from the album 2112|
|Released||April 1, 1976|
This song, along with "Lessons", are the only songs from 2112 to have never been played live by the band.
Geddy Lee said in an interview about the song: "'Tears' is a romantic ballad to give the album even more variety and depth. Mellotrons are very unique-sounding; they sound sorta electric, but also kinda stringy, they have this real resin-y sound to them, which is very cool and unique to that period."
Music Emmision said that it was the most underrated song on the album and that it was a departure for the band as a very heart-felt song of loss and regret.
Bill Banasiewicz said in the book Rush Visions that "It's better produced than 'Lessons', which immediately precedes it. It is very much in the mode of 'Rivendell' and marks one of the few times that Neil plays in a straight four-time signature."
Robert Telleria, in the book Merely Players, said about the song "once again Geddy proves he’s not just a screamer and his lyrics improved."
Alice in Chains version
|Single by Alice in Chains|
|Released||November 18, 2016|
|Alice in Chains singles chronology|
American heavy metal band Alice in Chains covered the song and released it as a single. The cover was their first studio recording in three years. Their cover was also included on the second disc on the 40th anniversary edition of 2112. Alice in Chains said that they’re "honoured" to have taken part in the project.
Rolling Stone magazine said about the cover: "Singer William DuVall delivers a grittier approach to Geddy Lee's original melody, and Jerry Cantrell spices up the instrumental sections with grandiose, harmonized electric guitar lines."
The American horror genre website Bloody Disgusting thought that the band "took the song, which was already mysteriously beautiful and added a slightly eerie element, making the song their own yet still preserving all the identifiable earmarks."
- "Geddy Lee talks Rush's 2112 track-by-track".
- "Rush - 2112 Review from Music Emissions". Music Emissions - Indie Music.
- "Tears". 1 February 2011.
- "Listen to Alice In Chains covering Rush's Tears".
- Ustaer, Feyyaz (22 November 2016). "Alice In Chains Release Cover Version of Rush's "Tears"".
- Reed, Ryan (21 November 2016). "Hear Alice in Chains' Gritty Cover of Rush's '2112' Ballad 'Tears'".
- "Alice in Chains Just Dropped a Cover of Rush's 'Tears' - Bloody Disgusting". bloody-disgusting.com.
- "ALICE IN CHAINS Just Covered Rush's 'Tears' and It's Awesome - Nerdist". 20 November 2016.
- "Alice in Chains cover Rush's "Tears" for 2112 reissue — listen". 21 November 2016.
This article "Tears (Rush song)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Tears (Rush song). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.