The Sexual Politics of Meat
The Sexual Politics of Meat is a 1990 book written by Carol J. Adams, in which she develops her Vegetarian-Feminist, Pacifist, intersectional critical theory. The book was first written as an essay for a college course taught by Mary Daly and includes material such as interviews from vegetarian feminists in the Boston-Cambridge area. The Sexual Politics of Meat has been translated into nine languages and re-published for its 25th anniversary edition as a part of the Bloomsbury Revelations series.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The book is composed of three parts, "The Patriarchal Texts of Meat", "From the Belly of Zeus", and "Eat Rice, Have Faith in Women", as well as an epilogue entitled "Destabilizing Patriarchal Consumption". In these sections Adams looks at the connections between as well as the comparisons of ingrained cultural misogyny and what Adams sees as an obsession with the consumption of meat and masculinity.
Reception[edit | edit source]
The Sexual Politics of Meat has been reviewed by multiple outlets, which includes the NWSA Journal, Etnofoor, and The Women's Review of Books. In a 2010 article for The Guardian, Nina Power wrote that "It's 20 years since the Sexual Politics of Meat was published, yet it is still as relevant as ever".
References[edit | edit source]
This article "The Sexual Politics of Meat" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The Sexual Politics of Meat. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- "Origin". Carol J. Adams. Retrieved 2018-03-16.
- "The Book". Carol J. Adams. Retrieved 2018-03-16.
- Lockie, Stewart; Hayward, Jen; Salem, Nell (2002). "Carol J. Adams. <Emphasis Type="Italic">The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory, Tenth Anniversary Edition</Emphasis>; Kathryn Paxton George. <Emphasis Type="Italic">Animal, Vegetable, or Woman? A Feminist Critique of Ethical Vegetarianism</Emphasis>; Michael Allen Fox. <Emphasis Type="Italic">Deep Vegetarianism</Emphasis>". Agriculture and Human Values. 19 (4): 361–363. doi:10.1023/a:1021104520757. ISSN 0889-048X.
- Grenander, M. E. (1991). "Review of The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory". NWSA Journal. 3 (2): 335–336. JSTOR 4316142.
- Veenis, Milena (1991). "Review of The Sexual Politics of Meat. A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory". Etnofoor. 4 (1): 113–118. JSTOR 25757748.
- Kevles, Bettyann (1990). Adams, Carol J., ed. "Meat, Morality and Masculinity". The Women's Review of Books. 7 (8): 11–12. doi:10.2307/4020718. JSTOR 4020718.
- Power, Nina (2010-09-24). "The woman, animalised". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-08-16.