The Towers fire
|Date||1 October 2018|
|Location||THe Towers, Southgate, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England, SG1 1HE|
A fire took place during the morning of 1st October 2018 at The Towers, in Stevenege. The building is a council-owned block primarily for social housing and is located in the town centre. On 16th October 2018, a male resident who lived in the fifth-flat where the fire started was confirmed to have died. 
In the wake of the Grenfell Tower Fire, an safety update was provided to all residents of high-rise blocks by Stevenage Borough Council. A transcript of this is available online. Despite this, this is the second fatal fire in a tower block owned by the Council. The other came in 2006 where three people (two of them firefighters) died in the Harrow Court fire.
The Towers is a post-second world war concrete tower block, with Brick infill, in the Town Centre of Stevenage.
|Lua error in Module:Infobox_mapframe at line 118: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Town or city||Stevenage|
|Owner||Stevenage Borough Council|
|Landlord||Stevenage Borough Council|
|Height||43 metres (141 ft 1 in)|
The fire started in the flat located on the fifth floor. It was reported at 10.08am and was out by 11.30am. Eight fire engines were on the scene alongside Stevenage’s aerial platform, police and medical vehicles including two air ambulances.
Group Commander Billy McGill from Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue said crews worked swiftly: "They did a very speedy attack up on to the fifth floor, attacking the fire very, very quickly and kept it to the room of origin".
An investigation is underway as to the cause of the fire.
- Building regulations in the United Kingdom § Part B. Fire safety
- Harrow Court fire (A previous fatal fire in another Stevenage Tower Block)
- Fire escape
- Lakanal House Fire
- Shirley Towers fire
- Grenfell Tower fire
- Ronan Point
- Skyscraper fire
- Structural robustness
- "Man dies in hospital following Stevenage tower-block fire". The Comet. 16 October 2018. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- "SBC High rise blocks - Briefing note 16 June 2017". Stevenage Borough Council. 16 June 2017. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- "Fire in Stevenage town centre tower block". The Comet. 1 October 2018. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- "Man dies in hospital after tower block fire in Stevenage town centre". BOB fm. 17 October 2018. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
This article "The Towers fire" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The Towers fire. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.