A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story
|A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story|
|Directed by||Cameron Washington|
|Produced by||Cameron Washington|
|Music by||Leroy Jones|
|Edited by||Cameron Washington|
Russian Hill Projects
|Distributed by||Good Docs|
A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story is an award winning 2018 American documentary film, about the life and history of legendary New Orleanian Trumpeter, Leroy Jones. It was written and directed by Cameron Washington. The film premiered on June 30th, 2018.
In a city full of brilliant musicians, Leroy Jones, trumpet virtuoso and consummate New Orleanian, is a musician's musician. Follow Jones' life journey as he came up playing on the streets of the Saint Bernard Projects, quickly establishing himself as one of New Orleans's most sought after trumpeters, founding the legendary Fairview Baptist Brass Band and Hurricane Brass Band which lead to the revival of the brass band scene in New Orleans. We are immersed in Leroy's early days in school as he plays in jazz band with Terence Blanchard, where these up and coming horn players would soon turn into local legends. As Leroy Jones plays in and around New Orleans and all over the country and globe, he catches the ear of fellow New Orleans musician Harry Connick Jr., which leads to a lifelong friendship, and almost more than 20 years of touring together with the big band. Leroy became Harry's many trumpet solo trumpet player, and Leroy ends up recording over 20 albums with Harry Connick Jr's band. This musical partnership leads to Leroy recording two of his own studio albums, starting his own quintet and eventually becoming the opening band for Harry Connick's Jr. big band. In the midst of touring the world and having a global fanbase that recognizes Leroy's unique sound, the film captures Leroy meeting his now wife Katja Toivola, who is from Finland, and was in New Orleans working on a dissertation about brass band music. As fate would have it - with her love of brass band music - ended up meeting with Leroy Jones. She would continue to visit New Orleans as the years followed. Now they both play together in Leroy's jazz quintet, with Leroy on trumpet and Katja on trombone. A decade after the storm that nearly destroyed his beloved city, Jones is navigating life as both a world renowned musician and a citizen amidst a rapidly changing New Orleans.
- Terrence Blanchard Self
- Harry Connick Jr. Self
- Leroy Jones Self
- Herlin Riley Self
- Gregg Stafford Self
- Katja Toivola Self
Though the film is not publicly available, it comes highly recommended by Educational Media Reviews Online
A Man and His Trumpet has received two awards since its release including the 2018 Capital City Black Film Festival Award for Best Documentary Feature. Director Cameron Washington and Producer Ramfis Myrthil were recognized. The documentary also won the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities’ 2019 award for best Documentary. Leroy Jones, Cameron Washington and Ramfis Myrthil were recognized by the organization.  The film premiered at Martha's Vineyard Film and Music Festival  ; San Francisco Black Film Festival ;Orlando Film Festival;  New Orleans Film Festival ; Culver City Film Festival  ;Baltimore Independent Film Festival  ; Cinema on the Bayou Film Festival; Charlotte Film Festival;Fort Myers Film Festival
Production is said to have begun February 10th, 2016 according to the film’s official website. Good Docs distributed the film. The film was shot and edited by Cameron Washington and follows a period of three years in which Jones shares his life story. Russian Hill Projects was the producing company 
- "About The Film 2017". LeroyJones.com. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "A Man And His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story". Black Reel Awards. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "2018 Winners". Austin's Capital City Black Film Festival. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "See A NOLA Screening Of 'A Man And His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story'". Offbeat. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "2018 FILMUSIC FESTIVAL: A MAN AND HIS TRUMPET: THE LEROY JONES STORY". MV Film Society. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story". San Francisco Black Film Festival. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "Orlando Film Festival 2018 Program Schedule". Orlando Film Festival. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "'A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story' tops Day 2 of the 2018 N.O. Film Fest". nola.com. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "A Man And His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story". Official Leroy Jones Facebook. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "THERE ARE MILLIONS OF MUSICIANS IN THE WORLD, BUT THERE'S ONLY ONE LEROY JONES A MAN AND HIS TRUMPET: The Leroy Jones Story". Good Docs. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "COME JOIN US IN JANUARY 2019 AS WE CELEBRATE OUR 14TH YEAR IN EXOTIC FRENCH LOUISIANA!". Cinema on the Bayou. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "Documentary Features A Man And His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story". Charlotte Film Festival. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "Fort Myers Film Festival: Harry Connick trumpeter plays live show after doc screening". Fort Myers Film Festival. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "The Leroy Jones Story". Good Docs. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "the Leroy Jones story contact". theleroyjonesstory.com. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story on IMDb Search this movie on
This article "A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:A Man and His Trumpet: The Leroy Jones Story. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.