A Stranger in Paradise
|A Stranger in Paradise|
|File:A Stranger in Paradise poster.jpg|
Original theatrical poster
|Directed by||Corrado Boccia|
|Produced by||Daemon Hillin|
Corrado Boccia "Consulting Producer" James Wearing Smith
|Screenplay by||Corrado Boccia|
|Story by||Corrado Boccia|
Catalina Sandino Moreno
|Music by||Keith Ruggiero|
|Edited by||Mark LaCroix|
|Distributed by||Cinema Management Group|
|May 1, 2013|
Plot[edit | edit source]
Josh Pratt (Colin Egglesfield) is on the verge of becoming a partner at his multibillion-dollar hedge fund, but then his life is turned upside down when the Securities and Exchange Commission investigates the head of the fund for insider trading. Pratt finds himself forced into a “vacation” he never asked for; he ends up in Bangkok with a price on his head, a morally ambiguous brother who is deeply involved with the Thai mafia, and a propensity for getting shot at.
Unfortunately for Pratt, the only way out is to give up information he doesn’t know he has.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Colin Egglesfield as Josh Pratt
- Catalina Sandino Moreno as Jules
- Byron Mann as Lek
- Stuart Townsend as Paul Pratt
- Gary Daniels as Derek, Paul's bodyguard
- Sonia Couling-Vacharasinthu as Chris
- James Wearing Smith as Agent Zane
- Teerapat Sajakul as Police Captain
- Sompob Benjathikul as Virote
- Jay Acovone as The Interrogator
- Ronnie Reid as Agent Harry
- Varintorn Yaroojjanont as Somchai
- Wittaya Chaiseriwongsawang as Ray
- Lynette Emond as Oh
- Elina Loukas as Elena
- Jan Yousagoon as Mei
- Sakuntara Peakjuturat as Captain's Assistant
- Paul-Dominique Vacharasinthu as Butler
Production[edit | edit source]
A Stranger in Paradise was entirely filmed in Thailand with the film's official poster featuring a team of credited producers, emanating from Thailand and abroad; local production services were managed by Benetone Films, and the company website states the firm was an executive producer and a line producer for the film. Production companies collaborating on the film include 24/7 Films, Benetone Films, Hillin Entertainment, Tribus P Films (ex Marengo Films); Noalternative Films is cited as a distribution company in an alternative video with additional footage not shown in the official trailer.
Producers[edit | edit source]
|Corrado Boccia||Producer||South Africa|
|Rachvin Narula||Executive Producer||Thailand|
|Kulthep Narula||Executive Producer||Thailand|
|Paul Dominique Vacharasinthu||Executive Producer||Thailand|
|Sonia Couling Vacharasinthu||Executive Producer||Thailand|
|Joseph Lanius||Associate Producer||USA|
|James Wearing Smith||Consulting Producer||UK|
Floods in Bangkok[edit | edit source]
It is stated that the production was Benetone's first investment into a Hollywood style of film-making and despite expressed nervousness from the producers, the production continued filming during heavy flooding impacting Bangkok, which occurred throughout October and November 2011, and in the same article Marengo Films is also quoted as an executive producer. 
Release[edit | edit source]
The film had its world premiere on February 14, 2014.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Critical reception for A Stranger in Paradise has been predominantly negative. The Los Angeles Times and The Dissolve both panned the movie; the Los Angeles Times wrote "Besides the pedestrian caricatures of gangsters and strippers, Boccia doesn't make much of the inherent mystery and alienation of the Thai setting as Nicolas Winding Refn did with "Only God Forgives." Even the twists late in the plot underwhelm."
Awards[edit | edit source]
"A Stanger in Paradise" appears to have been recognised with an Honorable Award For Contribution to Thailand's International Film Industry in the Thailand International Film Destination Festival 2019 website.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Thesps board 'Stranger in Paradise'". Variety. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "A STRANGER IN PARADISE - Benetone Films". benetonefilms.com. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- "A STRANGER IN PARADISE - Tribus P Films". tribuspfilms.com. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- ""Stranger" continues shooting despite Thai floods". benetonefilms.com. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- "Broadway World - Thai Mafia Thriller A STRANGER IN PARADISE, With Collin Egglesfield and Stuart Townsend, to Hit Theaters 2/14".
- "A STRANGER IN PARADISE (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "A Stranger in Paradise". timeoutdubai.com. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Schager, Nick. "A Stranger In Paradise". The Dissolve. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Tsai, Martin. "Review: 'A Stranger in Paradise' criminally underwhelms". LA Times. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Thailand International Film Destination Festival 2019 Awards Ceremony". 29 April 2014.